Title: Admin Associate | Job ID: 28397 | Location: Abuja | United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Salary Grade: G6
Hardship Level: C
Family Location Type: Family
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) works to ensure that everybody has the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge, having fled violence, persecution, war or disaster at home.
Since 1950, we have faced multiple crises on multiple continents, and provided vital assistance to refugees, asylum-seekers, internally displaced and stateless people, many of whom have nobody left to turn to.
We help to save lives and build better futures for millions forced from home
Duties and Qualifications
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships:
- The Administrative Associate is responsible for the office management in assisting the concerned manager in the implementation of general administrative and resource management tasks.
- The Administrative Associate is normally supervised by a (Senior) Administrative Officer or a National Administrative Officer who defines general work objectives and provides necessary advice and guidance. The incumbent may supervise some support staff. S/he keeps frequent contacts with staff at various levels in the office and occasionally with staff at the same level in other duty stations and/or Headquarters; with local suppliers and/or officials and/or Implementing Partners (IPs) on subject matters which may be of importance to the Organization.
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks.
- In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Assist the supervisor in the provision of resources (human, material and services) necessary to support the day-to-day activities of the staff in the office.
- Assist the supervisor in ensuring the UNHCR Office premises provide a healthy, safe and respectful working environment.
- Provide administrative support in the areas of finance, administrative and human resources as well as up to date and accurate data and records in MSRP and other systems.
- Provide interpretation of administrative rules, regulations and procedures. Perform personnel work including processing of entitlement, issuance of contracts maintenance of various personnel records and files.
- Assist in the recruitment of General Service staff for non-specialized work including evaluating candidate applications, administering recruitment exams if applicable, conducting preliminary interviews of candidates; assign General Service staff to meet work requirements.
- Collect information and assist in conduct of surveys on local cost of living, daily subsistence allowance criteria, local salaries for office and servicing staff, house rentals.
- Brief international personnel on general administrative matters relating to visas, licences, security; provide advice and ensure administrative support as required.
- Arrange for and/or attend meetings on day-to-day administrative matters, participate in discussions of new or revised procedures and practices, interpret and assess the impact of changes and make recommendations for follow-up action.
- Prepare, on own initiative, correspondence, reports, evaluations and justifications, as required, on general administrative or specialized tasks which may be of a confidential nature within the assigned area of responsibility.
- Assist in the preparation of office budgets applicable to staff and servicing costs and maintain necessary budgetary control records.
- In addition to general administration responsibilities, may also supervise directly or indirectly, activities concerned with office and grounds maintenance, security, transport and similar services.
- Arrange for requisition of office supplies and equipment and arrange for control of distribution and maintenance of appropriate inventory records.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
- For G6 – 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher.
Certificates and / or Licenses:
- Business Administration, Finance, Office Management, Human Resources or other related fields.
Relevant Job Experience
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
- IT-Computer Literacy
- UN-UN/UNHCR Administrative Rules, Regulations and Procedures
- UN-UN/UNHCR Financial Rules and Regulations and Procedures
- SC-UNHCR Procurement Rules and Procedures
- IT-PeopleSoft EPM/Budget
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Managing Resources
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
- Change Capability and Adaptability
- Please also note that English is essential for this Job Opening.
- Knowledge of local Language is highly recommended
- Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
- A written test may be conducted for this position which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
Application Closing Date
11:59 pm: 28th July, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Procedures and Eligibility
- Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).
- Applicants must be nationals of, and be locally recruited within the country of their employment.
Note: This position is advertised open to internal and external applicants.