The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administration Associate SSA6
Requisition #: 117741
- WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
- Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
- These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaux (RBs), and Headquarters (HQ). The Job holders report to a Head of Unit, Chief or Administration Officer.
- At this level job holders are expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis.
- Job holders have a level of expertise and knowledge to adapt and contribute to the development of systems and processes in order to continually improve the level of support provided. Job holders are expected to manage resources and coach and coordinate a team of support staff.
- To coordinate and provide high quality, client-focused and value-for-money oriented administration services.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Verify resource requirements in the area of responsibility (WFP facilities, assets, light vehicle fleet, etc.), and assist in the identification of new requirements to facilitate efficiency and costeffectiveness of operations and services.
- Responsible for provision of services such as facilities management, travel, protocol and light vehicle management related, etc., reporting any discrepancies to the supervisor for consistent and timely delivery of services, to ensure the provision of a safe and comfortable working environment for WFP staff.
- Support the production of various data and compile and prepare reports in order to contribute to the provision of accurate information for informative decision-making and to support the effective and timely management of WFP resources.
- Contribute to planning, monitoring and processing administrative actions related to procurement, finance, human resources, etc., including contracts with external vendors to ensure all data is accurately and timely recorded, processed in WFP corporate systems and any operational issues addressed.
- Adapt and update administrative processes, supporting the implementation of operating procedures, in order to contribute to the continuous improvement of administration services in the area of responsibility.
- Answer a range of queries related to the provision of administrative services in order to support the resolution of daily issues. 7. Coordinate the activities of a team of staff working in the area, to ensure individual and team objectives are met in compliance with all relevant regulations, policies, and procedures, and performance plan. 8. Provide training and guidance to staff in interpretation of administrative procedures, policies, processes, and use of corporate systems to ensure consistency and efficiency of services provided to all clients.
- Coordinate the activities of a team of staff working in the area, to ensure individual and team objectives are met in compliance with all relevant regulations, policies, and procedures, and performance plan. 8. Provide training and guidance to staff in interpretation of administrative procedures, policies, processes, and use of corporate systems to ensure consistency and efficiency of services provided to all clients.
- Provide training and guidance to staff in interpretation of administrative procedures, policies, processes, and use of corporate systems to ensure consistency and efficiency of services provided to all clients.
4Ps Core Organisational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
Capability Name – Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level:
- Business Support Services & Reporting – Applies strong ability to identify country level requirements and develop customer focused solutions and action plans. Communicates data-based findings in a highly impactful way that is tailored to the audience.
- Internal Controls & Risk Management – Utilises understanding of risk management approaches and internal controls to monitor projects and programmes to confirm regulatory compliance, ensure data integrity and ensure client satisfaction.
- Resource Management – Monitors trends in staffing and resource usage to anticipate and escalate potential issues to programme leaders and key clients.
- Specialised Knowledge in Administrative Services – Demonstrates a broad or specialist knowledge of administration best practices, techniques and processes, and a good grasp of WFP standards, processes, and infrastructure in area of responsibility; applies this to ensure the provision of efficient and effective administration services.
- Customer Focus – Monitors and supervises administrative work against the established standards and protocols for service excellence. Ensures that customer problems are identified and resolved.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
- Language: General Service (Headquarters): Fluency (level C) in English language. Fluency (level C) or intermediate knowledge (level B) of another official language may be required depending on the location of the post or area of responsibility. General Service (Field): Fluency in both oral and written communication in the UN language in use at the duty station and in the duty station’s language, if different.
Other Specific Job Requirements
This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job:
- Handle and manage cargo reservations / dispatch for travellers to and from the field.
- Manage hotel reservation for WFP staff and visitors.
- Act as a back-up for Travel focal person for WFP CO Abuja.
- Coordinate and manage CO events management, meetings and conferences.
- Manage conference room reservations.
- Manage courier services, receive incoming and outgoing mails, pouch and log them in the mails register and use of the electronic archive.
- Filling management, ensure proper filling of all Admin related documents.
- Manage vendor and vendor registration and services (to update vendor lists)
- Prepare Admin monthly cash forecast and submit to Finance.
- Request and manage Operational advance.
- Create purchase requisition for services and goods to be purchased.
- Prepare the performance evaluation form for extension of the service/tendering for vendor.
- Monitor and management of contracts period of each vendor & alert the contract expiry date.
- Attend to vendor’s complaints and enquires on timely basis.
- Ensure the conference room well set up before conferences and meetings.
- Ensure availability of drinking water in the office.
- To supervise cleaning of office premises and fumigation of the office.
- Act as back up person for the Protocol focal person.
- Keep adequate inventory of stationeries in the store and replenishments are made as at when due.
- Perform any other duty as it may be required.
Desired Experiences for Entry into the Role:
- Has demonstrated a sound understanding of WFP administrative operating standards and awareness of international humanitarian development issues through day to day work.
- Has provided ad-hoc guidance to new staff members.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
- Only Nigerian nationals or holders of a valid residence and work permits are eligible to apply for this position.
- Applications are to be submitted and received online and in English language only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing is strictly prohibited. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
- Selected candidate will be employed on a short-term contract.