Position: Administrative Assistant | ID: 23171
Location: Lagos | United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) | Type: Temporary Appointment
Salary Grade: Hardshi
Family Location Type: Family
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
- The Administrative Assistant will provide administrative assistance to the immediate supervisor and / or Head of the Office, and/or to the Unit as a whole to ensure that routine services and activities within the administrative domain are properly implemented
- As per specific instructions, the incumbent may require liaising with other internal or external entities, to ensure effective delivery of services and achievement of objectives
- The assignments are mostly standard tasks including limited interpretation of subject matter and information exchange between staff in the office, at the duty station and external officials of other institutions to ensure mutual understanding
- The incumbent’s workload and the assignments will remain under constant guidance and direction of the supervisor.
- The Administrative Assistant is a position within an office / Division / Bureau that requires basic knowledge of administrative rules, procedures as well as operational standards of a UNHCR office
- The nature of certain administrative/personnel functions require discretion and confidentiality.
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks
- In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
Within delegated authority, the Administrative Assistant will be responsible for the following duties: (These duties are generic and may not be carried out by all Administrative Assistant: please refer to the organizational context).
- Arrange appointments/meetings both internal and external, some involving high ranking officials.
- Receive visitors, place and screen telephone calls, respond to routine requests for information and take notes at meetings as and when required.
- Maintain hard and electronic office files and records; classify and code material relating to a variety of topics;
- Receive, review, sort and distribute all incoming and outgoing correspondence, office pouch and material, highlight priority items and attach necessary background information. Maintain a follow up system.
- May be required to maintain/update confidential files.
- Draft routine correspondence, memoranda and reports. Format more complex documents by using the appropriate technology.
- Facilitate implementation of Personnel administrative formalities and processing of documents in relation to official travels, leaves and movements of staff. Support staff members with processing personnel-related documentation.
- Maintain office inventory and stocks of office supplies. Monitor the asset management track to ensure all admin procurements and disposal of UNHCR property are done and recorded accurately.
- Assist the supervisor to monitor and record expenditure/disbursement of funds.
- Following instructions from the supervisor make logistic and administrative arrangements for seminars, workshops, and briefings that may be required by the Office/Division.
- May regulate and monitor routine provision of services and/or shifts from providers, as and when applicable;
- Monitor office/compound facilities and equipment and in consultation with the supervisor take appropriate action to ensure proper functioning at all time.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level:
- G4 1 year relevant experience with High School Diploma or Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Certificates and / or Licenses:
- Business Administration, Finance, Office Management, Human Resources or other related field
- IT-Computer Literacy
- UN-UN/UNHCR Administrative Rules, Regulations and Procedures
- UN-UN/UNHCR Financial Rules and Regulations and Procedures
- IT-PeopleSoft Applications
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation.
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
- Please also note that English is essential for this Opening
- Knowledge of local Language is an highly recommended.
- A written test will be conducted for this position which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
- Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
- This position is advertised open to internal and external applicants.
Procedures and Eligibility:
- Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).
Application Closing Date
24th November, 2020
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply