Post Number : 6NGBFM0701RP
Grade : G-5
Parent Sector : Bureau Of Financial Management (BFM)
Duty Station: Abuja
Job Family: General Administrative Support
Type of contract : Fixed Term Field
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 17-MAY-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, ProfessionalismLong Description
Only candidates entitled to work in Nigeria can applyOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall delegated authority of the Director/Head of the Office and the direct supervision of the Finance and Administrative Officer or Senior Finance and Administrative Assistant, as applicable, the incumbent provides a series of administrative support services in compliance with UNESCO Rules and Regulations, practices, standards and procedures.Long Description
- Act as certifying officer up to the authorized level delegated by the Chief Financial Officer (CFO);
- Draft and prepare routine correspondence, memoranda and non-substantive reports;
- Maintain confidential and general files and establish reference systems;
- Assist in the preparation of budgetary and financial reports;
Finance and Budget Accountabilities
- Assist and inform the supervisor on financial status, by using management information systems and reporting;
- Code, record and reconcile accounting transactions;
- Verify and process payments;
- Maintain specific accounts, calculate and compile financial data, prepare routine reports;
- Generate expenditure reports from the automated systems;
- Provide assistance and guidance to staff on basic financial procedures, requirements related to payments, and on banking and currency provisions.
- Monitor and control commitments and expenditures;
- Assist in the preparation, cost estimation and finalization of budget reports, carry out preliminary analysis of variances between budgets and actual expenditures; cross check consistency of figures;
- Draft correspondence and other documents;
- Retrieve and analyse HR-related data from automated systems;
- Process salaries, entitlements, claims, non-staff contracts etc. as per to established guidelines and procedures;
- Provide assistance to newly arrived staff, experts and consultants on basic procedures; assist and support in accordance with requirements by the Organization and host country (liaise, as required, with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs).
- Assist in pre-recruitment formalities and provide support.
- Assist and provide guidance on shipping, preparation of purchase orders, contractc and travel plans;
- May liaise and cooperate with UNDSS on matters related to safety and security.
Long DescriptionCOMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)Accountability (C)Communication (C)Innovation (C)Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)Planning and organizing (C)Results focus (C)Teamwork (C)–For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Completed secondary and/or vocational school education.
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional work on administrative, financial and/or budget administration.
Skills and competencies
- Sense of integrity, confidentiality, commitment and reliability;
- Good analytical and problem solving skills;
- Ability to provide efficient, quality and timely support and capacity to work efficiently under pressure;
- Strong knowledge of MS office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and database packages;
- Ability to work in diverse multi-cultural settings with sensitivity to the local context.
- Excellent knowledge (spoken and written) of English language.
- Specialized training in Finance, Budget, Human Resources Management and/or Administration.
- Relevant experience in the UN/international organizations or similar organizations.
- Knowledge of French language.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.ASSESSMENT
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts. UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.