Job Title: Associate, Mergers & Acquisitions | Standard Chartered Bank | Job Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Job: Corporate Finance Primary Location: Africa & Middle East-Nigeria-Lagos Schedule: Full-timeEmployee Status: Permanent
About Standard Chartered: We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It’s about showing how you embody our valued behaviours – do the right thing, better together and never settle – as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We’re committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture – one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
- Support the overall CF strategy
- Analysing opportunities, structuring transactions and preparation of pitch books
- Manage and review the work of third-party due diligence providers (e.g. financial and legal)
- Idea generation (intra-regionally and cross-border in conjunction with other M&A offices)
- Build detailed financial models to value debt and equity for mergers, acquisitions, and capital raising transactions
- Perform financial as well as valuation analysis based on various valuation methodologies including comparable companies’ analysis, precedent transaction analysis, and DCF
- Assist in developing recommendations for private equity transactions, mergers and acquisitions and valuations
- Assist in the preparation, review and presentation of materials used in providing advisory services to clients, including teasers, information memoranda, management presentations
- Participate in all stages of transaction execution from pitch phase through to closing
- Perform research, analysis, and documentation of live transactions
- Prepare presentation materials for use in client meetings, covering topics such as strategic alternatives, capital markets activity and general corporate finance
- Involved in day to day project management and execution
- Affinity for current events, critical issues, and relevant news
- Responsibility is the first line of defence
- Understanding of and adherence to the standard procedures and policies related the execution of M&A transactions
People and Talent
- Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values.
- Ensure compliance with country-level Portfolio Standards, Underwriting Standards, PPGs
- Identify any key risks and escalate to line manager or to other stakeholders, where appropriate
- Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework, in which the Group operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role
- Take individual responsibility to ensure risk-taking is disciplined and focused
Regulatory & Business conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
Key Relationships – Internal
- Client Coverage teams
- Senior transactors in Corporate Finance
- Regional Head LSS / PEF / M&A
- Global Head LSS / PEF / M&A & Regional Head Corporate Finance
- Capital Markets
- Internal Audit
- Legal & Compliance
Key Relationships – External
- Target clients
- Lawyers, accountants and other professional advisors providing due diligence services
- Stock exchanges, securities commissions and other relevant regulatory agencies
- Private equity firms, brokers, investment banks, professional advisors and other external sources of deal referrals
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
Our Ideal Candidate
- MBA or degree plus training and work-related experience
- ACCA or CFA qualification would be an advantage for none MBA holders
- Two or more years of experience (Associate position) in a finance or business background, particularly on the quantitative side
- Knowledge of general accounting and finance principles
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-based environment with minimal supervision
- Working knowledge of deal structuring and closing principles
- Strong communication and networking skills
- Impeccable research, quantitative, analytical and creative problem-solving skills, especially in explaining market events
- Proven proficiency in Microsoft Office products, especially Microsoft Excel and Power Point
- Ability to organize and track overlapping tasks and assignments, with frequent priority changes
- Strong and demonstrable financial modelling skills
- Strong work ethics, detail orientation and a passion for excellence
- A commitment to integrity, professionalism and teamwork.
- Leadership potential is highly valued, as is the ability to work on small team projects
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages. We welcome conversations on flexible working.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply