Latest British Council Jobs in Nigeria. June, 2021.
The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language.
We help young people to gain the skills, confidence and connections they are looking for to realise their potential and to participate in strong and inclusive communities. We support them to learn English, to get a high-quality education and to gain internationally recognised qualifications. Our work in arts and culture stimulates creative expression and exchange and nurtures creative enterprise.
We have been working in Nigeria since 1943. Every year we connect with thousands of students, educators, policymakers, academics, creatives and entrepreneurs in Nigeria. The focus of our work is on providing opportunities for young people through:
- supporting young people to achieve the education, qualifications and skills needed to reach their potential in their future careers.
- creating and developing new networks and platforms to give young people a voice in society.
Title: Head of English for Education Systems (EES) Nigeria | The British Council | Location: Abuja / Kano
Pay band: PB8
Department: Business Delivery
Contract type: Locally Engaged
Duration: 3 Year Fixed Term
- The successful candidate will lead the English for Education Systems (EES) portfolio of contracts and programmes in Nigeria, providing technical sector expertise.
- The post holder will oversee business development and quality, compliant delivery of programmes and contracts to improve standards of the teaching, learning and assessment of English.
- The Head of EES will also share knowledge, expertise and best practice from Nigeria with the regional and global English for Education Systems teams and externally.
Main Opportunities / Challenges for this Role
- Position Nigeria as one of the leading English for Education Systems (EES) countries in the region.
- Build a transformational and impactful EES programme in Nigeria, ensuring that quality teacher training, teaching and appropriate delivery, including digital and radio, are at the heart of the approach.
- Embed gender transformative programmes within the EES portfolio.
- Design innovative, evidence based EES programmes with strong monitoring, evaluation, research and learning elements underpinning the programmes.
- Actively seek partnership and full-cost recovery funding for the EES programmes.
- Qualified to postgraduate degree level in ELT or other English-specific qualification
- Minimum 5 years experience of managing teacher education projects
- Minimum 5 years experience of delivering externally funded projects or programmes
- Direct experience of client funded contract pursuit
- Experience of overseeing monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) within projects and incorporating lessons learned from MEL into programmes and strategy
- Experience of engaging with diverse stakeholders including multilateral agencies, donors, government officials, academics
- TEFL-Q – A diploma level qualification in teaching English as a foreign / second language which meets accreditation UK requirements
- Experience of managing teacher education projects for English language teachers
- Experience of managing online teacher education projects
- Experience of writing for academic journals and presenting at international conferences
Role Specific Skills:
- Candidate will need to:
- Lead on strategy and process development for innovative English/ education solutions
- Lead on the development and implementation of quality standards for English/ education
- Lead on strategy and commissioning of global thought leadership outputs, such as publications
- Lead on relationships with UK sector
- Candidates must have current legal right to live and work in Nigeria.
Application Closing Date
4th July, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply