Job Location: Nigeria | Job Title: Business Support Assistant | United Nations World Food Programme
Full Job Description.
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.ABOUT WFP
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable.
Experience: Five or more years of progressively responsible work experience in the relative business stream with experience in general administrative work.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of specialised common business practices and methods, gained through relevant technical training and experience.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with a range of individuals in order to provide a high quality support service.
- Ability to carry out basic data analysis and independently rectify problems requiring attention.
- Ability to monitor and record financial transactions.
- Good communication skills required to give and receive information and work with a variety of individuals.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Language: General Service (Headquarters): Fluency (level C) in English language. Fluency (level C) or intermediate knowledge (level B) of another official language may be required depending on the location of the post or area of responsibility.
General Service (Field): Fluency in both oral and written communication in the UN language in use at the duty station and in the duty station’s language, if different.ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT
These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaux (RBs), and Headquarters (HQ). Job holders performing front office management functions typically report to the Deputy Directors or Head of Offices. In cases where these positions support a specific business stream, the reporting line may be to the Head of Unit, Chief, or the designate.
At this level job holders are expected to take responsibility for completion of a range of business support activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines/practices. Job holders are able to recommend a course of action to staff at various levels and may allocate tasks to more junior colleagues.JOB PURPOSE
To deliver a wide range of business support processes and activities for a specific professional area of work, to facilitate effective service delivery.KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Collate information for inclusion in reports, documents and correspondence, to support the effective work of other staff.
2. Respond to standard queries and provide timely and accurate guidance.
3. Process and manage routine administrative and financial tasks in various functional areas, to contribute to the effective and timely management of resources
4. Manage and maintain records and databases, to ensure information is organised and readily available for staff.
5. Maintain relationships with a range of individuals through provision of business support to assist in information sharing and service delivery to staff.
6. Proof-read reports, documentation, correspondence, etc., making changes in line with established guidelines where appropriate.
7. Contribute to improvement of business procedures and processes.
8. Collect and perform basic analysis of data to contribute to quality business information management.
9. Provide guidance to junior colleagues in performing their duties.
different.4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
N/AOTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific jobDESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
N/ATERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Only Nigerian nationals or holders of valid residence and work permits are eligible to apply for this position
- Applications are to be submitted and recieved online and in English language only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing is strictly prohibited. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year. WFP offers an attractive compensation package. For more details please visit International Civil Service Commision website: http://icsc.un.org (link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salaries/nigeria.htm).DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The deadline for receiving applications is 21 November 2020. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered..
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply