West Africa Container Terminal (WACT) is one of the first green field container terminal to be built in Nigeria under public private partnership. WACT is located in Onne port (some 30kms from Port-Harcourt) in Rivers State. We have been successfully connecting East, North, West Central Nigeria and Rivers state to the world.
We run a profitable business that has been made possible through top-quality services, cordial business relations with customers, regular interaction with stakeholders, human resource development, modern handling equipment and superior e-commerce capabilities.
We are a community of local and global employees, and we promote work-life balance for all our employees. For our EXPATRIATES, whether you decide to relocate your family to Nigeria, or keep them in your home country, our peculiarly-crafted commuter policy (in addition to Home Leave and Rest and Recuperation) ensures that you have a healthy work-life balance and maintain optimum family relationship which we recognize as crucial to achieving high performance.
Accommodation is provided in the serene, secure and well-laid out Prodeco Camp (Onne Estate) which is located within the port complex – less than 10-minute drive to the terminal.
The Estate provides amenities such as swimming pool, gymnasium, multi-purpose courts, football ground, supermarket, restaurant/bar and other modern amenities such as CCTV, electrified fence, routine and preventive maintenance, gardening, security systems.
A wide range of national and international career opportunities. Opportunities for professional growth in a dynamic environment acquiring skills, knowledge and exposure to a service provider set up & marketing of services. General exposure to terminal management
- The incumbent is expected to provide measurable input to the terminals business strategy within the limits of the role.
- The position will be responsible for setting and delivering the main operational initiatives which are within the strategy of the terminal.
- Establishes and implements current and long-range goals, objectives, plans and policies of port operations and expansions.
- The incumbent is expected to improve the quality of existing operational processes and methods on an ongoing basis.
- Provides the leadership and direction for the Port/Terminal operations and takes responsibility for effective management and safety of all operations staff.
- Maintains balance between operations’ need for equipment and technical functions’ need to timely maintenance of equipment to ensure high availability
- Leading role in selection, negotiation and finalization of agreements with suppliers & customers including execution and maintenance of SLA’s.
- Ensures operational processes comply with HSSE policies & procedures.
- Actively integrates safety into day to day operations to ensure operational activities adhere to required safety standards.
- Liaises with customs agents, trucking companies, customs, port authorities, etc. to ensure that their requirements are met.
- Responsible for setting and achieving the budget for the reporting functions.
- Ensures that the terminal adheres to APM Terminals Global standards on process and people development.
- Motivates, coaches and instructs all operational team members. Structures tasks and goals, establishes efficient courses of action, sets priorities, organises information, efficiently plans and executes daily tasks.
- Supports programs and initiatives that emphasise incremental improvement in work process and outputs over an open-ended period of time.
- Liaise with labour unions (where applicable) and on behalf of APMT take part in long-term contract negotiations with labour unions. Ensure industrial harmony with the workforce.
- Measure and report on operational performance and develop plans to improve relevant key performance indicators
We are looking for
- Minimum university degree in logistics, maritime and port, or process/industrial engineering.
- Completed post-graduate studies in Port and/or Terminal Management, or related business studies is desirable.
- Minimum 7-year experience in operations management roles in terminals.
- Solid understanding of the container shipping industry end-to-end and an ability to relate with shipping company and other associated industry managers.
- Experience of general cargo and break-bulk operations would be an advantage.
- Experience in cost and productivity optimization through process optimization, as well as design and implementation of new operation procedures.
- Extensive understanding of modern terminal operations and terminal management systems
- Extensive knowledge of APM Terminals Operating System
- Fluent in English and local language (where applicable).
- Experience in finance related matters, setting budgets and reporting against financial objectives.
- Ability to meet objectives while promoting a team environment and developing people.