Job Title: Clinical Specialist | EngenderHealth | Requisition No: VN063 | Location: Abuja
Employment Type: Full-Time
Program(s) / Department(s): Programs
Reports To: Country Project Manager and technically to the Project Technical Director based in Headquarters (Washington DC)
Supervises: Clinical Associate
Local Hire: Yes
- MOMENTUM Safe Surgery in Family Planning and Obstetrics is a USAID funded program initiated in September 2020 and active through September 2025. Through a consortium of partners led by EngenderHealth, this project expands awareness of, equitable access to, and appropriate use of quality, voluntary surgical maternal health (MH) and family planning (FP) services that are essential to reducing maternal and newborn mortality and morbidity and promoting reproductive health (RH).
- MOMENTUM Safe Surgery in Family Planning and Obstetrics focuses on surgical obstetric care, including safe and indicated cesarean delivery (CD) and peripartum hysterectomy; prevention and treatment of obstetric and iatrogenic fistula; and voluntary long-acting reversible contraceptives and permanent methods (LARCs/PMs).
- In Nigeria, MOMENTUM Safe Surgery in Family Planning and Obstetrics builds on EngenderHealth’s recent history of successful program implementation with government and civil society partners through the USAID Fistula Care Plus project.
- Clinical Specialist is responsible for supporting the programmatic and technical implementation of the project, including service delivery, training, supervision and improvement of the quality of care. In the MOMENTUM Safe Surgery in Family Planning and Obstetrics Nigeria project, these activities will support health system strengthening in surgical obstetric care, including safe and appropriate caesarean delivery; prevention of obstetric and iatrogenic fistula, including rehabilitation and screening and referral for gender based violence (GBV) and female genital mutilation/circumcision (FGM/C).
- Under the supervision of the Nigeria Country Project Manager, the clinical specialist will work closely with medical authorities in project-supported states and staff in supported sites to provide technical assistance for interventions related to fistula prevention and repair, delivery of safe surgical obstetric procedures and screening, and referral for GBV and FGM/C in accordance with national, state, and EngenderHealth standards and guidelines.
- The clinical specialist is responsible for guiding the programmatic and technical direction of the project, including service delivery, training, supervision and improvement of the quality of care.
- Provides technical support for reproductive health activities, including maternal health, safe obstetric surgery, GBV and FGM/C screening and referral, and fistula screening referral and repair, and reintegration/rehabilitation.
- Assist the Country Project Manager and/or the global team in the development of interventions, work plans, and reporting for the project (Planning, training, and monitoring and evaluation).
- Provide guidance for country training and supervision plans, including the adaptation of training modules and supervision tools.
- Support assessments of the capacity of health facilities and providers to provide high-quality surgical obstetric care, fistula care, and FGM/C and GBV screening and referral; and guide determinations of targeted procurement needs for essential equipment and supplies.
- Participate in capacity building of supervisors and service providers in the technical areas of the project.
- Participate in local and national project meetings, technical working groups, and communities of practice.
- Conduct post training follow-up of the trained service providers to provide onsite individualized mentoring support to reinforce skills learned at the initial training.
- Conduct regular supportive supervision visits to facilities to identify gaps in program focus areas service delivery and to rectify them with the help of staff and health officials at facility, and state level to improve the quality of care.
- In collaboration with the M and E Manager, facilitate collection of data at baseline and at periodic intervals and help collating, analyzing and interpreting the data collected. Help facility staff make decisions for quality improvement based on the data.
- Document project activities, prepare assigned progress reports, prepare presentations for review meetings organized by EngenderHealth / government and provide input for the quarterly and annual project’s reports.
- Represent organization at facility, state, and national level data and quality of care review meetings.
- Keep up to date on technical approaches and programmatic priorities through self-study.
- Provide technical assistance to local partner organizations with respect to service delivery, training, quality of care improvement and other interventions as defined by the project
- Any other task assigned by the supervisor from time to time.
- MD with Diploma in Public Health, Obstetrics / Gynecology or equivalent field
- At least 8 years’ experience in the field of maternal or reproductive health
- Two or more years of experience of working on safe obstetric surgery, reproductive health/SRHR, and quality assurance
- Experience as a MNCH provider and formal certification as a MNCH trainer is desirable
- Experience in facilitating training is desirable
- Experience of working with international NGOs, NGOs, district administration, public health facilities will be an advantage.
- Experience in supportive supervision, quality improvement, and data collection and use for decision making.
- Ability and willingness to travel to the field 2-3 weeks per month in the project states.
Essential Soft Skills:
- Committed to EngenderHealth’s core organizational values of reflection, inclusion, integrity, respect, and transformation
- Excellent English language writing and communication skills
- Well organized and flexible with ability to work on multiple activities under deadline pressure
- Able to work in a team setting as well as to work independently without direct supervision
- Strong communication, facilitation, liaison, and motivation skills and Interpersonal skills
- Good time management and prioritisation skills with the ability to plan ahead to meet tight deadlines without compromising standards.
- Ability to build good relationships with staff and external partners.
Preferred Skills, Abilities and Functions:
- Ability to collect data; expertise in compilation; analysis of data and writing reports
- Capacity to work confidently with computerised datasets.
- Computer skills – MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Microsoft Office Suite
- Good organisational skills with the ability to plan and execute a number of overlapping activities.
- Good knowledge of quality improvement and quality assurance of health services
- Positive attitude and flexible approach to working; able to re-organise tasks as appropriate in response to changing demands.
- The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person(s) assigned to this job. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
- All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities as needed and assigned.
35,000 – 40,000 USD annually.
Application Closing Date
15th September, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- EngenderHealth provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment, without regard to race, creed, ancestry, citizenship, religion, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, political belief, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristic or status under applicable federal, state and local laws.
- EngenderHealth complies with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
- EngenderHealth is committed to safeguarding all people, particularly children, vulnerable adults and beneficiaries of assistance from any harm that may be caused due to contact with EngenderHealth. This includes harm arising from the conduct of staff, associates and partners; and the design and implementation of programs and activities.