Title: Country Head, Wealth Management COO | Standard Chartered | Location: Lagos, Nigeria
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It’s about showing how you embody our valued behaviours – do the right thing, better together and never settle – as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We’re committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture – one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
Governance & Control
- Oversee, design and manage end-to-end policies and processes to ensure that relevant policies, procedure and standards are effectively implemented across WM products in country.
- Establish a robust control framework to ensure sales and advisory processes are duly complied with by all representatives.
- Track and monitor business critical issues.
- Translate strategy, policy, themes, into actionable plans which are realistic within country business and regulatory context and retain oversight and manage through execution phase
- Lead the team in proactively identifying gaps and issues in the respective areas, performing bottom-up reviews on the existing controls and processes to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements
- Lead the team in driving root cause analyses for operational incidents/risk items.
- Oversee implementation of a fair dealing strategy for WM, including meeting the relevant measurable targets for the year.
- Develop and sustain a product sales compliance culture and strengthen the foundations of risk and control
- Develop effective communication and supervise training efforts to promote risk awareness and compliance culture within WM Products. Ensure gaps are identified and staff are suitably trained on Products sales policies and compliance.
- Collaborate with support functions, alongside functional heads to ensure a coherent, seamless delivery and strong overall governance.
- Assume delegated authority as the Country Process Owner in performing Risk Assessments for WM processes in country as prescribed by the ORF, the output being a risk rating based on the Group Operational Risk Assessment Matrix and a risk rationale for regular Risk Assessments and Project Operational Risk Assessment
- Appointed WM representative for Country RBORF
- Identify new, thematic and horizon risks; provide operational risk advice through ORF and ad hoc reviews (Accountability reviews, Lessons Learnt reviews, Process / Control reviews) at the unit level.
- Track and follow through management actions to mitigate identified operational risks exposure.
Ensure Satisfactory Audit Outcomes for WM
- Oversee the team which is the key business interface with Audit in country.
- Ensure full coordination of audit activities and reporting.
- Review Audit’s Management Action Plans with Country Head, WM and other key stakeholders, ensure full execution and commitment as agreed.
- Self-reflect on Audit findings with relevant Product Heads and Customer segment heads in country, and re-assess the control effectiveness as part of the residual risk ratings.
Products sales process simplification
- Continuously improve and simplify WM products sales process to free up RM sales capacity and improve customer experience, without sacrificing effectiveness of control
- Leverage best practices from other countries in simplifying processes.
- Represent WM in country Customer Experience Meeting, presenting on WM customer experience initiatives and being the point of contact for customer experience matters
- Ensure that processing operations for the business achieves high level of accuracy, integrity and completeness. Ensure quality and timeliness of Service Delivery – TAT and accuracy in the delivery of wealth products.
- Close oversight of GBS operation related to respective product portfolio and/or segment and ensure that key service level metric is met – both internal and with clients; close engagement with the GSSCs in terms of production planning.
- Maintain close working relationship with Wealth Product and business stakeholders and their respective teams, to ensure that product segment strategy and revenue aspirations are clearly understood and always supported.
- Partner respective businesses in developing product roadmap, work closely with group Wealth Management operations team to operationalize and ensure that the underlying processes are fit for purpose.
- Act as an escalation point for exceptions, prompt closure of Customer Complaints, Errors, Breaches and Technology Incidents that may trigger regulator and senior management attention.
- Operational risk Management, working closely with the manager risk and control to ensure compliance with regulatory and group policies.
- Assist Head to manage and meet the unit’s operations budget and financial KPI.
- Lead respective people management and development aspects for team.
- Engage, interact with external vendors and partners as needed.
- Track the financial performance of the business and monitor/identify business critical issues. (addition)
- Monitoring through the Trade Surveillance Reports rolled out by Group & escalation to appropriate risk platforms such as ORCs
- Support Operational Risk team in their activities.
Project implementation & Change Delivery (including Enable) & Business Incident Management
- Oversee project and change management across all products in country regularly and consistently to ensure flawless execution and compliance.
- Represent WM head as delegated authority as Country Process Owner to review project documentation for WM head sign-off as the business.
- Projects include ICM, E-advices for investments and equities, WM Lending.
- On an on-going basis, manage the team within P&P that supports ongoing system incident management from a business perspective to provide guidance to business teams/COO and drive closure.
- Sales Campaigns
Build team bench-strength and develop talent within the team
- Identify talented individuals with potential within the team to take on bigger roles and provide stretch opportunities for growth which encourages organizational retention and drives the performance and continuity within a control function which is critical as it is the first line of defense of a business
Our Ideal Candidate
Degree holder, minimum 12 years’ working experience preferably in Wealth Management products, sales, processes or operations.
- Charismatic Team leader who shows leadership initiative and assertiveness
- Self-motivated and motivating
- Work well under pressure
- Team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills to interface credibly with senior internal and external parties.
Proficiencies and Knowledge:
- Wealth Products
- Sales policies and procedures
- Group governance requirements
- L&C Requirements
- Audit requirements
- Local Regulations
- Operational risks
- Change management
- Interpersonal and influencing
- Coordination and execution
- Collaboration and team work
- Communication and listening
- Negotiation and engagement
- Project management & Implementation
- Risk Management – Keen sense of risks and operational controls to quickly respond to issues and changes in the business or operating environment
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our . We welcome conversations on flexible working.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply