Deloitte is a leading global provider of audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, tax and related services. Our global network of member firms and related entities in more than 150 countries and territories (collectively, the “Deloitte organization”) serves four out of five Fortune Global 500® companies. Learn how Deloitte’s approximately 312,000 people make an impact that matters at www.deloitte.com.
Our West Africa practice serves multinationals, large national enterprises, small and medium-sized enterprises and the public sector across Nigeria and Ghana.
In Nigeria, Deloitte is one of the leading professional services firms, specializing in providing Audit, Tax, Consulting, Risk Advisory and Financial Advisory services. We serve clients in a variety of industries from financial services, consumer, telecommunications, media & technology, energy resources & Industrial and government and public services.
Our professionals are unified by a collaborative culture that fosters integrity, outstanding value to markets and clients, commitment to each other, and strength from cultural diversity. They are committed to strengthening corporate responsibility, building public trust, and making a positive impact in their communities. We understand that our professionals hold interests outside of the work space and we aim to encourage work/life balance, supporting them in all aspects of their lives.
Our talented professionals and our clients understand the link between a strong learning and development programme and the ability for Deloitte to deliver on its promise of consistent, high-quality service delivery worldwide.
Whatever your age, gender or culture, take your career to the next level with the talents and capabilities you will develop at Deloitte.
Scope of Work
The Power Africa Nigeria Power Sector Program (PA-NPSP) is the signature initiative of Power Africa in Nigeria. Launched in 2013, Power Africa is a U.S. Government-led partnership coordinated by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) that brings together the collective resources of over 170 public and private sector partners to double access to electricity in sub-Saharan Africa. Power Africa’s goal is to add more than 30,000 megawatts (MW) of new electricity generation capacity and connect 60 million new homes and businesses to power by 2030. PA-NPSP supports Power Africa’s aims by contributing to comprehensive reform within Nigeria’s power sector, addressing gas-to-power challenges, competitive procurement of clean and conventional energy, regulatory and policy reforms to foster greater sector transparency and private investment, utility distribution reform, and off-grid electricity access. PA-NPSP has a target to enable 10,000 MW of new/rehabilitated generation capacity and 3,000,000 connections. In carrying out this work, PA-NPSP must ensure program compliance with USAID environmental and social impact requirements.
The Consultant will support PA-NPSP in the successful implementation of the program work plan. Specifically, the Consultant will provide technical expertise and assistance to ensure that all PA-NPSP activities comply with the environmental and social impact requirements set forth in the USAID-approved PA-NPSP Supplemental Initial Environmental Examination (SIEE), PA-NPSP Environmental Mitigation and Monitoring Plan (EMMP), Power Africa Transactions and Reform Program (PATRP) IEE conditions, and other applicable documents.
Specific Tasks under this Scope of Work
As directed by the Chief of Party of designee, the Consultant shall perform, oversee, and support the performance of the following specific duties:
- Undertake due diligence by completing all required initial environmental and social reviews for i) proposed activities under consideration by PA-NPSP for delivery and ii) transactions PA-NPSP may support, as follows:
- Screen for and complete US federal environmental compliance requirements for all PA-NPSP activities and transactions, as mandated by the SIEE/EMMP.
- Ensure these procedures are completed for all qualifying activities and transactions prior to commencement of support and that relevant source documentation for these activities and transactions are maintained within PA-NPSP.
- Assist to identify and develop mitigation plans for environmental and social impacts resulting from PA-NPSP activity preparation and/ or implementation.
- Where relevant, verify that project developers, government agencies, financing entities, and similar that are involved in a particular activity or transaction are applying their own environmental and social safeguard policies.
- Implement training and advising components of the IEE conditions, including compiling training material and interacting with program personnel and partners by means agreed to convey the material and ensure they have a solid understanding of environmental and social assessment and safeguard approaches.
- Monitor, track, and maintain up-to-date environmental compliance and social impact status of all PA-NPSP activities and transactions, including any required re-assessments or other process due to stage/scale changes.
- Work closely with PA-NPSP counterpart organizations (project developers, government agencies, financing entities, etc.) to determine and confirm application of their own environmental and social impact assessment standards.
- Work with PA-NPSP gender professionals to ensure the explicit incorporation of gender and social inclusion issues into activity and transaction environmental and social assessment and management planning.
- Compile procedures for ensuring environmental aspects of projects are addressed in the project pipeline.
- Report regularly on progress, contributing as needed to biweekly, quarterly, annual, and special reports.
- Other duties as assigned
The Consultant shall produce the following deliverables by the end of this consultancy:
- Screened and completed activities and transactions compared to US federal environmental compliance requirements as mandated by the SIEE/EMMP.
- Relevant library of source documentation for these activities and transactions.
- Mitigation plans for environmental and social impacts resulting from activity preparation and/ or implementation.
- Design and delivery of training and advising components pertaining to IEE conditions.
- Environmental compliance and social impact status tracker of PA-NPSP activities and transactions.
- Verification that relevant project developers, government agencies, financing entities, and apply their own environmental and social safeguard policies.
- Documented incorporation of gender and social inclusion issues into activity and transaction assessment and management planning.
- Compiled procedures on addressing environmental aspects of projects.
- Regular progress reports
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental sciences, biology, ecology or a related field.
- Minimum of 15 years practical experience in environmental legal compliance and environmental and social sustainability and safeguard systems.
- Working knowledge of and experience addressing USAID environmental and social impact requirements.
- Practical experience completing environmental and social impact assessments for large-scale infrastructure projects.
- Experience with energy sector projects, including IPP construction, utility grid expansion, mini-grid construction, solar home systems delivery, and others.
- Experience with designing and delivering training on environmental and social assessment and safeguard approaches.
What Impact Will You Make?
Every day, your work will make an impact that matters, while you thrive in a dynamic culture of inclusion, collaboration, and high performance. As the undisputed leader in professional services, Deloitte is where you will find unrivaled opportunities to succeed and realize your full potential.
How You Will Grow
At Deloitte, our professional development plan focuses on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there is always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help build world-class skills in addition to hands-on experience in the global, fast-changing business world. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs at Deloitte University, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career. Explore Deloitte University Leadership Centre.
At Deloitte, we know that great people make a great organization. We value our people and offer employees a broad range of benefits.
Deloitte is led by a purpose: To make an impact that matters. Every day, Deloitte people are making a real impact in the places they live and work. We pride ourselves in doing not only what is good for clients, but also what is good for our people and the communities in which we live and work—always striving to be an organization that is held up as a role model of quality, integrity, and positive change. Learn more about Deloitte’s impact.
We want job seekers exploring opportunities at Deloitte to feel prepared and confident. To help you with your interview, we suggest that you do a research to know some background about our firm and the business area you are applying to.
Application Closing Date
11 November, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply