Title: Deputy Director of Programmes | The International Rescue Committee (IRC) | Location: Abuja
Reference No.: req10129
Sector: Program Administration
Category: Fixed Term
Open to Expatriates: Yes
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
- IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. Since then, the IRC has expanded its scope and size of the programs in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States.
- The IRC’s response to the humanitarian situation includes integrated health and nutrition services, reproductive health care and women protection services, Environmental Health, Child Protection, Economic Recovery and Development, Education, General Protection and community-based disaster preparedness.
- The country program will develop a new strategic plan in the first half of 2021. IRC’s programming in Northeast Nigeria is supported by a team of more than 700 staff.
- The Deputy Director of Programs (DDP) is a member of the senior management team (SMT) (along with the Deputy Director of Operations (DDO), Deputy Director of Field Management (DDFM) and Financial Controller (FC)).
- She/he is responsible for leading and managing the program sectors, grant management, M&E and Consortia teams in the Country Program.
- The DDP is expected to contribute to high levels of teamwork and inter-departmental and cross-sectoral collaboration. Through her/his leadership the IRC Nigeria country program will develop and implement high-quality programs based on the principles of results, data-driven analysis, problem identification and problem-solving.
- The DDP will also be the focal point for strategy development, review and monitoring. The position is based in Abuja with frequent travel to all field locations.
Ethics, Integrity and Safeguarding:
- Adhere to and act in accordance with the IRC Way (code of conduct) and other Global HR Policies and Procedures, and communicate through word and example a high standard of compliance with all applicable policies and regulations.
- Ensure that programs are designed in ensure integrity and safeguarding are central to all interactions with clients.
- Contribute to the highest possible standard of security management through SMT level security and risk analysis and planning and the integration of security principles in program design and implementation, grant management and M&E.
Management and Strategy:
- Actively contribute to and participate in management and leadership platforms such as the senior management team and the country leadership group.
- Be a champion and focal point for the development, periodic review and implementation of the Nigeria Strategic Action Plan and ensure quality and meaningful participation of programs, grants and M&E teams in strategy and research-related activities and initiatives.
Program Design and Implementation:
- Ensure the highest level of quality in program design through robust and in-depth context analysis, development of theories of change and sector level strategies. Through rigorous M&E processes and results-based management ensure periodic and systematic learning is informing program design and adaptation.
- In partnership with the DDFM ensure efficient and effective delivery of program commitments through overseeing the development and implementation of tools such as procurements plans, budget versus actual reports, work plans etc.
- Oversee appropriate technical assistance for all sectors ensuring that programs are reaching a high quality through use of best practice, evidence base and up-to-the-minute learning.
Business Development and Grant Management:
- In conjunction with SMT colleagues, lead the development, implementation and review of IRC’s country program business development strategy to ensure that individual sector programs, overall strategy and operations are adequately funded.
- Lead the grant management team to ensure IRC Nigeria are meeting all institutional donor and internal reporting and compliance requirement.
Representation, Advocacy and Communication:
- In conjunction with the CD and DDFM, ensure that the IRC is effectively represented in relevant coordination fora and networks and with relevant stakeholders. This representation should aim to bring to bear IRC’s learning and experience to improve the overall humanitarian and development response in Nigeria.
- Drive an advocacy strategy that advances the strategic aims of the country program.
- Ensure that the IRC has an appropriate range of communication products to highlight the work of the country program to various audiences.
Human Resources Management:
- Lead teams under the supervision of the DDP in all human resource management activities including workforce planning, leave planning, recruitment, professional development and performance review in line with IRC policies.
- Ensure Duty of Care considerations are central to human resource management and decisions.
- At least seven years of international experience with two years of experience in the management of emergency, post-conflict and development programs.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in program design and delivery, including proposal development
- Proven capacity in staff management, multi-tasking, time management and diplomacy.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Must be an innovative and creative problem solver, and a team player, with experience working with multi-cultural teams.
- Fluent in English
- This position is fully accompanied based in Abuja and accommodation will be in individual house.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply