Title: Deputy Human Resources Coordinator | Première Urgence Internationale (PUI) | Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Première Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities, primary health care and nutrition for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC) living in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC). The progressive sectorial widening allowed PUI to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in food security, livelihoods, nutrition and health sectors, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. From the launch of the health care services in February 2017 to the end of April 2018, a total of 119 913 OPD consultations were reached in Bolori II, while more than 60.000 beneficiaries have been reached by our cash project.
In mid-2018, PUI has developed its comprehensive response by adding Protection and Community Outreach (PCO) activities to the existing programs in Bolori II. In the month of October 2018 only, more than 3.500 households have received door to door visit from the PCO team. In 2018, PUI has also scaled up its intervention with the opening of Monguno LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community. This opening in Monguno allowed PUI to reach the vulnerable population in Kukawa and Cross Kauwa LGA.
- Under the supervision of the HR Coordinator, the Deputy HR Coordinator ensures the human resources management of the Coordination office and provides technical support to both bases.
- She / he works with the HR coordinator to ensure that all HR policies and processes followed at mission level are in compliance with the PUI and donors procedures and National and local regulations.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Internal staff regulations:
- Participate with the HR Coordinator in drawing up and suggesting possible updates to the HR policy for procedures and tools, regarding recruitment, payment, administrative management, disciplinary issues and the management of individual career path within the organization
- Guarantee with the HR Coordinator, the implementation and application of the policy, once validated by the Head of Mission and Head Office, and consequently ensure the dissemination of any new policies, and ensure that these rules and procedures are known, understood and implemented by the HR team and that the latter have all the tools for applying them at their disposal
- In collaboration with the HR coordinator, take part in the update or amendment of the internal regulations
Administration, Management and Career Path Management:
- With the support of the HR Coordinator, work on clear integration plans and on comprehensive capacity building plan
- Validate by delegation of the HR Coordinator, recruitment requests and amendments to contracts (job description, payments, working hours, ending date, etc.)
- By delegation of the HR Coordinator, review and validate employment contracts that are drafted by the HR team and sent to Coordination for signature
- Ensure that administrative personnel files are created and ensure that employee documents are in accordance with PUI policies and donors requirements
- Participate to the organization of the recruitments for the admin team and may support the recruitments for other departments/bases, and key strategic positions on the field.
- Responsible for the induction process in coordination with the HR Coordinator, and create any possible support process for integrating new employees;
- Support the HR Coordinator in updating the salary grid (fixed and variable terms), outline the associated benefits package (compulsory or otherwise: medical cover, daily allowances, insurance, transport allowances, etc.), and ensure these are implemented, subject to validation by the Head of Mission.;
- By delegation of the HR Coordinator, validate the monthly payroll of the mission
- Contribute to the optimization of HR, administration and payroll tools and procedures
- By delegation of the HR Coordinator, monitor the correct progress of assessment and appraisal procedures for all employees of the mission
- Support in identifying training needs and work to organize or plan trainings
- Participate in the recruitment process of the staff under his/her direct supervision
- Support the staff under his/her direct management in the fulfilment of their duties
- Provide training to the HR staff on the HR components in order to build their capacities
- Ensure team-building among the team
- Conduct appraisals every six months for the staff under her/his supervision
Organization of Work:
- Assist in drawing up organizational charts, and be mindful of coherence in the composition of teams, in terms of task division and responsibilities, defining hierarchical and functional relationships, function titles, etc
- Take part in drawing up job descriptions and confirm these against the job categories table
- By delegation of the HR Coordinator support in validation of all job descriptions that are drafted on mission level
- Take part in outlining human resources requirements within the framework of drawing up project proposals and possible amendments.
Managing HR Risks:
- Ensure that HR management rules and procedures, are compliant to the current employment law, and monitor social and legal issues and report where necessary
- Participate in defining and implementing suitable working conditions particularly those concerning rules and regulations on health and safety
- With the HR Coordinator, monitor situations in order to anticipate and avert social conflicts and take part in crisis management, if necessary
- Be attentive for any risk or abuse of power (whether this is between local employees, or between an expatriate and local employees or any other type of abuse of power) and report any inappropriate behavior to the Head of Mission;
- Ensure staff understanding on PSEA policy and steps of reporting
- Responsible in coordination with the HR Coordinator for keeping records for all current and previous employees and update this information on paper and electronic files
Internal and External Communication and Representation:
- Ensure that information is circulated effectively between operational bases and the coordination office;
- Edit or take part in drafting internal activity reports for everything involving HR, administrative and legal issues for the mission
- Support the HR Coordinator in ensuring HR coordination at mission level (workshops, regular visits to the bases, monitoring, follow-up, training, etc.)
- By delegation of the HR Coordinator, internally, be the representative of PUI before any employee representation bodies, whether or not these are compulsory by law, in addition to being PUI’s representative for all personnel for any matters relating to human resources
- When requested, externally, represent PUI before any legal, or administrative authorities (employment inspectors, taxation authorities, social security/insurance payment collection bodies, etc.)
- Develop and maintain relationships with partner organizations, particularly within the area of coordinating with NGOs as regards administration and human resources.
Priorities Of The Department:
- Monitors the good application of the ISR and guidelines
- Digitalization of the HR files
- Follow up on the trainings and capacity building of the national staff
- Ensure confidentiality on all HR matters
- Update and sensitize the staff on any new insurance policies department
- Carry out periodical refresher trainings on PUI ethical framework
- University Degree in Human Resources, Public Administration, Business Management, Social sciences or related field
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a similar position (NGOs/private companies)
Knowledge and skills:
- Good analytical and writing skills
- Good management capacities and team leadership spirit
- Fluent in English is mandatory and Hausa is a plus
- Good knowledge of the MS office software including Word, Outlook. Excellent in Excel
- Good skills in reports and contracts redaction
- Good knowledge of institutional donor (ECHO, UN agencies, etc.) procedures and financial guidelines
- Knowledge of humanitarian actor
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Well organized
- Conflict resolution and diplomacy experience
- Able to analyze and suggest improvement
- Able to take initiative to deal with difficulties encountered in daily work
- Able to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself;
- Autonomous, neutral, hard worker
- Team Management
- Able to manage stress and pressure
Application Closing Date
8th October, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: For Nigeria Nationals only.