Job Title: Development Officer (INGO Forum) | Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) | Location: Abuja
Webcruiter ID: 4270393099
Full-time / Part-time: Full-time
Employment Type: Contract
Percentage of full-time: 100
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
Overview / Description
- INGO Forum in partnership with NRC is looking for a Development Officer for Abuja Country Office, in Northern Nigeria. The purpose of the Development Officer position is to This role gives the candidate the opportunity to explore their interests in international development by working on projects across multiple thematic sectors including Education, Finance, Governance, Public Health, and sustainable development goals.
- The project is demand-driven, will contribute to addressing several issues through its cross-sectoral and holistic approach to the humanitarian-development peace nexus, poverty reduction, and inequality by supporting sustainability and inclusion and mainstreaming gender equality
- NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
- The INGO Forum in Nigeria was formed in late 2014 to develop a collaborative platform for effective and principled INGO interaction, engagement and coordination for humanitarian, recovery and development interventions in Nigeria. Since inception, the INGO Forum has become a critical platform for ensuring effective information sharing and analysis; leadership on advocacy and policy engagement; and liaison with government/donor/UN engagement and engagement ensuring the perspectives of INGOs and affected populations are ultimately included in decision-making processes. The INGO Forum is governed by a core membership of 41 members (and 6 observers) with new member applications pending approval on a regular basis, The INGO Forum is governed by an elected Steering Committee of five Country Directors and a Chair that works alongside a full-term Secretariat. Since March 2017, the INGO Forum is administratively hosted by NRC in Nigeria’s capital city of Abuja as well as Maiduguri.
- The Development Officer reports to the Development Adviser (NIF)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Stay informed on political, and economic contexts, while providing analysis and structured updates of the thematic sector development situation in the country and assist in drafting and design of periodic project updates, policy briefs, and other similar materials.
- Work with the NIF team to produce blogs or op-eds for external publications, draft and layout mailings (newsletters, updates) and co-ordinate their review and approval.
- Contribute to the formulation, analysis and reporting on progress in related NIF planning and programming tools as well as briefing and other strategic documents.
- Identify opportunities and entry points for NIF in the area of governance, through partnership management support and development of concept notes.
- Support relevant working groups within the office which facilitate dialogue on priority and cross-cutting issues with other areas of work. effort in identifying opportunities for mobilization for thematic areas or new areas of interest to donors
- Support the development of contacts with the Nigerian government and private sector counterparts, donors and international agencies working in the thematic fields;
- Work with NIF technical program officer on budget spending and project activity updates and reporting.
- Cooperate with the national counterparts in the resource mobilization efforts and identify opportunities, based on the urgent relevant priorities and donors’ available resources;
- Support partnership building and cooperation with strategic players, including donors’ community, UN agencies, World Bank, IMF and relevant international and national agencies/institutions;
- Help organize and facilitate workshops and other capacity development, as necessary. Assist in organizing all logistics for training, meetings, workshops, events and other INGO Forum activities for the development team and taking minutes of these events
- Experience working in the military or security agencies
- Relevant Bachelor’s or post-graduate degree, and an excellent academic track record in one of the following: Economics, Development economics, public policy, international development.
- Required data analytical and interpretation skills and a demonstrated ability to use STATA.
- Competency in one or more of the following: Education, Finance, Governance, Public Health, and the sustainable development goals. Ideally experience of working with Federal and/or State government institutions; international organizations, public policy consultancies or large private sector organisations
- Interest in developing the skills required to manage projects and teams.
- Strong communication skills with excellent written and spoken English.
- A collegiate approach to teamwork, and a willingness to learn.
- Ability to multi-task and juggle multiple competing priorities and assignments.
- Willingness to work across a broad range of technical issues and office support functions as required.
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling an insecure environment
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and often demanding environment.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and experience in humanitarian settings.
We Can Offer
- Commencement: September 2020
- Duration: 12 months (One-year renewal)
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions of grade level 5 step 1
- Duty station: Abuja, with frequent travels. Travel outside Abuja is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- An approved health certificate will be requested before the contract start.
Application Closing Date
13th August, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Procedures and CV Registration:
- Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV.
- There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.
Note: Nigerian Nationals Only.