Editor, BBC Yoruba | BBC World Service | Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Local terms and conditions apply.
Based in Lagos, Nigeria
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Nigeria.
BBC Yoruba is part of the British Broadcasting Corporation, the world’s largest public broadcaster. In Africa, the BBC reaches a weekly audience of more than 90 million people on Radio, TV, Digital, Mobile and Social Media. We currently broadcast to Africa in English, Yoruba, Igbo, Pidgin, Hausa, French, Somali, Swahili, Kinyarwanda/Kirundi, Kiswahili and Arabic.
BBC Yoruba produces a wide range of audio (BBC minute) and digital content with an emphasis on local, regional and international current affairs. Our coverage includes breaking news, sports, arts, health, business and features. We challenge decision makers to discuss the issues that affect the daily lives of Africans.
The BBC is looking for an excellent senior journalist to be the Editor of the Yoruba Language Service to deliver a range of digital, audio and video content.
You will report to the Head of West African Languages and also work closely with other senior editorial figures in BBC World Service.
As the Editor, you will provide creative leadership and vision, to maximise the Yoruba Language Service’s impact and potential in Nigeria, taking into account the changing media conditions in the target area. You will approve content, ensuring that BBC editorial guidelines are adhered to consistently.
You will manage teams and resources, taking responsibility for ensuring that all output is delivered creatively and on schedule. The successful candidate will have substantial experience in a senior journalistic role within a media environment. Fluent in Yoruba and English (written and spoken), you will have experience of delivering output on media platforms. An excellent knowledge of local, regional and international news and current affairs is essential. You will have recent experience of living in the target area, including a good understanding of the complexities of Nigeria.
A good appreciation of the media situation in Nigeria and the wider target area, and how it is developing with the ability to anticipate changes in the market is essential. Experience of managing budgets is required.
You must have existing right to work in Nigeria.
Are you the right candidate?
- Fluency and up to date knowledge of Yoruba and the ability to type quickly and accurately.
- Fluency in English including complete comprehension of written and spoken English and the ability to communicate effectively.
- An ability to lead, inspire and manage a team is essential.
- Ability to grow digital and social media audiences.
- A willingness to learn to operate new technology and adapt to different working methods.
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to a young audience.
- A demonstrable experience in working in a multimedia environment and engaging audiences.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of Nigerian, African and international current affairs.
- A good broadcasting voice and the ability to acquire the appropriate presentation style is desirable.
- A willingness to understand and adopt BBC editorial guidelines and to abide by BBC Values.
- A thorough knowledge of the aims, objectives and standards of BBC World Service and Global News.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply