The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between many European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Budget Officer (Finance, Contract and Audit Section)
Jobs Reference Numbers: 319254 and 319255 – DEVCO
Slot: 2 Openings
- We offer two posts as Budget Officer in the section finance, contract and audit. The section is responsible for the financial management of projects and programmes funded by the European Union.
- Under these job functions the successful candidates will serve as technical and support staff to carry out day-to-day finance and contract management of EU funded projects under the supervision and responsibility of the relevant head of section.
- The European Union (EU) is a major player in the international development community in Nigeria with an active presence in the key sectors of health, nutrition, water and sanitation and improving access to sustainable electricity. Additional cross-cutting activities include the fight against corruption, drugs and organised crime, support to the reform of the justice system, measures to increase the role democratic processes and supporting a greater role for civil society.
- The candidates – Local Agent LA1 – will work full time in a multicultural and multinational environment at the premises of the EU Delegation in Abuja, Nigeria. We expect a candidate with deep understanding of financial management principles, with high level of personal integrity, able to work under strict deadlines and able to cope with a significant workload.
- We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as a pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
Functions and Duties
Under the supervision of the Head of Section, the responsibilities are the following:
- To assist in the contractual and financial management of projects and programmes funded by the European Union, in particular with tender procedures, calls for proposals, contracts, payments and follow-up of audit matters. To advise operational sections and beneficiaries/contractors in contractual, financial and audit matters.
Functions and Duties
- Applying sound financial management in financial cooperation programmes and projects.
- Control and initiation of financial transactions.
- Assistance with financial decisions.
- Follow-up of procurement and grant procedures.
- Analysis of draft contracts, riders.
- General management of the contracts.
- Ensuring analysis of invoices, proper preparation and execution of payment orders.
- Registration in databases
- Financial reporting
- Financial and accounting statistics using the relevant databases.
- Liaise with the operational sections.
- Assist in audit activities
- Take part in field missions to monitor the projects.
- Education and Training: A University degree (minimum 3 years) in Finance, Law, Audit, Business Administration, Public Administration or equivalent. Master degree in above-stated fields will be considered an asset.
- Experience: Minimum 3 years’ proven working experience, (preferably within an international organisation or an entity dealing with development aid and projects) in finance, law, audit or equivalent, including proven experience of at least 2 years in tendering and finance/contract management in private or public sector. Experience with financial procedures of EC is considered an asset.
- Ability to interpret financial data at an intermediate level and high degree of numeracy.
- Capacity to deliver in a structured way.
- Capacity to communicate technical or specialised information.
- Ability to work in a proactive, autonomous and organised way.
- Critical Analysis.
- Flexibility (openness towards new demands, new technologies, new cultures etc)
- Initiative / Self-starter
- Inquiring mind
- Fluent in spoken and written English. Knowledge of French is considered an asset.
The gross basic salary will be raised in accordance with relevant salary scale depending on years of relevant professional experience.
Application Closing Date
4th March, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications which should consist of a letter explaining your interest and suitability for this position and Curriculum Vitae (each 2 pages maximum). These documents should be sent by email to the attention of Head of Administration, on the following email address: [email protected]europa.eu
- Application should clearly state the title of the post and job number on the subject “Budget Officers Finance, Contract and Audit section. Jobs No 319254 and 319255-DEVCO”. Applications with no reference to the post and job number will not be considered.
- Applications received after the deadline stated above or not conform to these instructions will be automatically rejected.