TechnoServe | Job Title: Extension Agents | Job Location: Kaduna
We are looking for 6Extension Agents for a potential opportunity in Kaduna State.
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a non-profit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital, and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs, and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
Primary Purpose: The Extension Agents will work with the project team and grain aggregators to provide extension support and advisory to farmers, transporters and sub-aggregators on best practices to avoid contamination, increase yield and access premium markets. It should be understood that the tasks outlined below are the key responsibilities, but the employee is expected to perform any tasks that are necessary within the context of the evolving needs of the program.
Duties & Responsibilities
- The primary role of the Extension Agent is to achieve a transformation of attitudes and behaviors of farmers, transporters, and sub-aggregators to adopt best practices;
- Train farmers on good agronomic practices (GAP) and post-harvest handling of grains to improve yield and avoid contamination;
- Train farmers, grain transporters and sub aggregators on safe handling of grains to avoid contamination as well as how to identify and mitigate contaminants;
- Facilitate and or train farmers on improved drying methods such as, solar drying, maintaining high quality grains both on-farm and post-harvest, proper method of cleaning, bagging and storage of grains, to be able to receive premium prices from off-takers, group marketing of grains, as well as, on the use of improved inputs such as seeds, Aflasafe and fertilizers;
- Support data collection and recording for performance monitoring;
- Record-keeping of farm activities, data collection of information required for monthly report;
- Any other tasks that may be assigned.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelors degree in Agriculture, Agribusiness, Business Management and other relevant fields;
- At least 2 years’ experience providing extension services to grain farmers in northern Nigeria;
- Adequate knowledge of GAP and post-harvest handling of grains;
- Ability to actively engage with community leaders and cooperatives:
- Understanding of the Hausa language is mandatory;
- Ability to develop well written, cohesive analyses and reports;
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills;
- Experience with relevant software packages, including Microsoft Excel;
- Ability to communicate in Hausa is a must.
Work Station: Kaduna, Nigeria
This is a short term part-time engagement and All successful applicants are expected to be resident in state all through the period of engagement.
We welcome hearing from qualified and interested applicants. Due to a high volume of applicants, please understand that we are able to contact only those who meet the minimum qualifications. No phone calls, please.
TechnoServe encourages diversity at all levels and across all facets of our organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability, and all other protected classes.TechnoServe is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in all facets of employment, including the employment application and selection process.
If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at TechnoServe please contact Human Resources Department at [email protected]
Application Closing Date
Friday, October 23rd, 2020; 17h00 WAT
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply