Job Title: Field Monitor (for NHF Project) | Salient Humanitarian Organization (SHO) | Location: (Maiduguri base) North-East Nigeria
Employment Type: Full-time
Starting Date: September, 2020
Duration of Contract: 6 Months (Extendable)
Reporting to: FSS Officer
Salient Humanitarian Organization (SHO) is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
General Context of the Job/Project
This position falls under the direct management of SALIENT’s FSS Officer/Field Coordinator
- SALIENT’s FSS Field Monitor will play an integral part of the FSS team of ensuring that all refugees of the Isolation centres are living a safe, secured and dignified life.
- Adhere to SHO policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to a plan of action.
- Prepare and submit day to day status reports as required by management.
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function.
- Provide regular activity progress reports to food security assistant.
- Ensure that FSL projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist.
- Ensure relevant induction was done for casuals/ distributors.
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders at the field level.
- Ensure that the security plan and procedure is adhered to in all operations, including staff – movements, etc.
- Actively participate when invited in monthly planning of FSL activities and participate in weekly review achievements and constraints, and provide feedback accordingly.
- Carry out food security activities in the target districts, including wet-feeding distribution and technical training sessions.
- Hold project participatory orientation sessions for beneficiaries.
- Assist in the beneficiaries selection and verification process as per the targeting approach and criteria. Make sure that beneficiary selection is done appropriately.
- Organize distributions (food); make sure all distributions are done timely and effective manner, ensure the safety and protection of staff and beneficiaries.
- In charge of the day to day guidance of the food security casuals and distributors, making sure that the project implementation is in line with SHO technical guideline and donor regulations and are done on time with quality.
- Support in the production of training and/or communication tools related to food security activities supported by the SHO.
- Assist in Liaison with SHO partners (especially local authorities) and other stakeholders (community leaders, CBOs, NGOs, UN) on FS related issues.
- Carry out any other relevant task to the position as requested by the line manager.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Completion of university Degree in Database, Humanities, Social Studies, or another relevant degree
- Minimum one year of experience in NGO; ideally involved in the direct implementation of field level humanitarian assistance to refugees or IDPs.
- Experience in community services, women empowerment, youth activities, protection, distribution or registration.
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Extensive knowledge of Nigerian displacement context.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and team-playing skills.
- Highly flexible, with the ability to use initiative.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values.
- Understanding of gender, protection and human rights.
- Commitment to promoting gender equality.
- Proven professional experience working with NGO at a relevant position e.g enumerator, monitor, field and community worker.
- Experience working for NGOs and/ or in Camp setting is a must.
- Experience using Kobo, or other mobile data collection technology
- Experience Working in the Northeast Nigeria is a Must
- Experience collecting information using hand-held GPS devices
- Positive attitude and a willingness to learn
- Written and spoken fluency in English, Hausa or Kanuri a must; additional fluency in other local languages preferred
- Ability and Willingness to follow instructions.
- SHO reserve the right to close the application before the deadline, if the required number of candidates is attained.
- Candidates will be responsible for his/her own travel, accommodation and feeding during the recruitment process;
Application Closing Date
10th September, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should please submit their Application (Letter of motivation and CV in a single file) via E-mail to: [email protected] indicating the “Job position” as subject of the e-mail
Salient Humanitarian Organization,
Behind NTA Quarters, Off Damboa Road,
Old GRA, Maiduguri,
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than five pages) in English.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
- SHO considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
- Please clearly indicate the “Job position” on the envelope.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- CVs will be review on rolling bases.
- Due to the large numbers of expected applicants SHO will only inform shortlisted candidates for written test and oral interview.
- For general information about SHO, please consult: www.salientho.org