Job Title: Finance & IT Intern | WaterAid Nigeria | Location: Abuja
Reports to: Head of Finance and IT
Direct Reports: None
Travels: Potential travel to field to be determined based on needs.
Duration: 1 year
WaterAid is an international non-for-profit organization dedicated to helping people break free from poverty and disease, unlock their potential and change their lives for good through improved access to clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene. WaterAid started its operation in Nigeria in 1995. Since then it has successfully executed several intervention programmes as outlined by its objectives and has made impact in the lives of the very poor. WaterAid with the country office in Abuja currently works in Bauchi, Enugu and Plateau States with funding from various donors and partners.
- The Finance & IT department provides leadership and support for financial management and IT across WaterAid Nigeria.
- The idea of this role of the Finance Intern is intended to be a learning and development opportunity for young professionals to gain exposure and build skills through work in an international development organization and potentially, build a crop of professionals with experience relevant to the international development or other professional sectors.
- A key responsibility of the intern will be to provide support to the Finance and IT department and the CP at large, in a number of capacities and activities. These will include:
- Ensure accuracy, security and documentation of petty cash and cash receipts. Be the custodian of office petty cash.
- Ensure that petty cash is maintained at agreed minimum levels through collection of cash from bank when required.
- Support in postings of transactions into SUN, Vision and other systems/ templates.
- Support in monthly reconciliations, remittances and payments.
Filing and documentation:
- Support in management and keeping of accounting records, files and other documentation.
- Stamp “paid” on all paid payment vouchers and supporting documents
- Support the process to ensure accurate and adequate documentation and recording of WaterAid
- Nigeria income and expenditures.
Support in internal controls:
- Send monthly update to staff on status of staff advances
- Reconcile and explain all outstanding balance on staff debtor and creditor account.
Support in partner financial management:
- Support in processing of partner funds transfer
- Other roles as may be assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
- B.Sc or HND in Accounting or Business Administration or any Social Sciences
- Completion of National Youth Service Scheme
- Student membership of a professional accounting body ( ICAN, ACCA etc)
- Excellent computer skills particularly Microsoft Excel.
Skills / Abilities / Personal Qualities:
- Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work – Developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships – Developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintaining them over time.
- Attention to details-Ability to follow precise procedures and complete routine tasks/activities without errors
- Active Listening – Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Active Learning – Understanding the implications of information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Judgment and Decision Making – Ability to use information and determine best fit option relative to costs and benefits of potential actions to determine most appropriate one option
- Initiative – willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Written and Oral Expression – Excellent ability to communicate information and ideas in writing and speaking so others will easily understand.
- Time Management – Managing one’s own time and the time of others; Keen sense and appreciation of priorities and deadlines
- Flexibility-Ability to adapt to difficult situations (e.g. unforeseen change in context).
Application Closing Date
1st July, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online