Title: Finance Officer | Location: Maiduguri – Borno State | Plan International
- The purpose of this role is to provide timely, accurate financial information and ensure that Grants expenditures are in line with specific FAD/donor requirements.
- The role’s support is to the Humanitarian Programs (GAC EiC) Project.
Dimensions of the Role
- Communicates within Plan International Nigeria and with partners and related government institutions.
- The post holder will contribute towards financial management of the office and programmes, interfacing with both operational and programme team members.
- The post holder will also contribute towards the organisational development of Plan Internationals implementing partners
- Budgets – Monitor the budget of the Project.
- Reporting – Support financial reporting of the Project.
- Area of Responsibility – GAC IHA EiC Project in the Borno state.
- Assist with the finance component set-up of the project in SAP.
- Support the Finance Manager – Humanitarian and Project Managers to prepare the annual finance budgets for all projects.
- Support the KP06 budget preparation and periodic upload in SAP.
Capacity Building and Support:
- Provide technical assistance in terms of accounting (use of SAP), financial management, financial policy formulation, and systems of internal control to all partners/grantees to ensure compliance in terms with donor rules and regulations.
- Support the assessments of partner/grantee organizations as directed by the Finance Manager GAC and the Finance Manager-Humanitarian.
- Review partner budget and provide assistance and guidance where necessary including the monitoring and interpretation of project budgets versus actual expenditures.
- Support train staff and partners on donor policies, rules and regulations.
- Facilitate timely partner advance request and liquidation in SAP.
- Review Partners/grantee liquidation and recommend for approval.
- Conduct and document regular partner visits to ensure compliance with grant agreement.
- Ensure receipt of timely and accurate accounting and financial reports from partners.
- Monitor the partner burn rate and offer timely advice to the partner and programs team for prompt action and decision-making.
- Monitor and track finance related performance measurement indicators and liaise with Finance Manager to implement strategies to improve performance.
- Explain donor requirements and organizational financial policy & procedures to staff and ensure compliance.
- Prepare and review on a monthly basis, donor-specific bank reconciliation statements and receipts/deposits reconciliations.
- Support the preparation of financial reports based on donor requirements.
- Ensure proper filing (electronic and hard copy) of grants financial reports.
- Ensure that partners used the standard reporting templates and formats for their reports.
- Prepare the Projects expenditure tracker.
- Support the CO in recharging costs to the relevant Projects.
- Fulfill Plan’s Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy at all times.
Internal Financial Controls and Payments:
- Ensure that the documentation for payment is acceptable and accurate with arithmetic calculations being correct
- Approved payment request should be processed within one week of receipt
- Prepare the withholding tax and vat schedule where relevant before payment is done.
- Ensure that filing of travel advances, per diem calculations and travel reconciliation forms are reviewed;
- Ensure that all travel and purchase advances are liquidated on time.
- Perform any other project related duties as specified by the Finance Coordinator and/or the Finance Manager-Humanitarian.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- Degree in Accounting or equivalent.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in donor funds grants administration.
- Experience working with sub-grantees required.
- Fluency in local language and English required.
- Preferred qualifications: knowledge of and experience with the key donors in the industry is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of SAP system
- Experience providing capacity development assistance to sub-grantees strongly preferred.
Skills & Knowledge
- Excellent and demonstrable experience in grant and financial management.
- Knowledge and understanding of Nigeria’s policy environment
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including good listening skills, influencing, negotiation and coaching.
- Creates strong sense of purpose and commitment within own part of operations and with stakeholders.
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity.
- Provides good and adequate support to enable programmes to meet its agreed financial and program outcomes.
- Actively seeks for support in addressing difficulties in execution of duties.
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and Organizational development.
- Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations.
- Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
- Leads by example to motivate high performance of others.
- Very strong commitment to continuous learning.
Application Closing Date
15th June, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply