Job Title: Finance Intern | Mercy Corps | Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2021/0007
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria – with 5-10% travel to the field locations
Length of Internship: 6 months
Interns Supervisor & Contact Information: Finance Officer
Employment Type: Internship
Program / Department Summary
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Nigeria including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance.
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures.
- In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the country team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
General Position Summary
- Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Accounting Manager, the Finance Intern will ensure quality documentation both physically and electronically and assist in the processing and recording of payment transactions in timely and accurate manner and work with the team to facilitate execution of routine tasks.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Understand Mercy Corps policies, procedures, grant requirements and documentation requirements.
- Understand Mercy Corps FFM, procurement, assets mgt, HR policies and procedures are implemented.
- Maintain the bank file, ensuring that all bank information is properly filed and updated
- Prepare and Maintain filling records of all program activities and other related financial documents.
- Prepare Bank Cheques upon receiving payment schedule and disburse it to staffs
- Manage the archiving of all financial documents and follow up with staff for any missing documents.
- Ensure the petty cash count performed on time (weekly and monthly).
- Oversee the maintenance of all accounting records, ensuring that records are complete, accurate and safeguarded.
- Identify and follow up on any outstanding obligations and Keeps record of all cash, bank and advance updated
- Maintain the petty cash box and carryout weekly and monthly cash counts as directed by the supervisors.
- Make sure all income taxes, withholding tax, VAT and other tax are withheld and remitted to relevant tax authorities on monthly basis.
- Print off all payment voucher and match with the document to be filled.
- Make sure that all supporting documentation is prepared and filed according to MC procedures.
- Make sure all required documentations are attached, calculations are correct, appropriate approvals and reviews are made according to AAM.
- Keeps record of all finance documents and reports are properly filled, labeled and store in a clear and easily accessible manner following the FFM.
- Assist the Finance department to enhance the efficient of existing control systems and any other duties assign.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Reports Directly To: Finance Officer
- Works Directly With: Finance Staff, Operations Staff and Program Staff
Knowledge and Experience
- 1 year of bookkeeping, banking or cashiering experience.
- A degree in Accounting or a relevant experience in this area is desirable.
- Strong computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel.
- Accuracy in the processing of cash transactions, mathematical aptitude and attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- A clear understanding of finance and procurement ethics, as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures, is essential.
- A high level of personal integrity, honesty and transparency in all cash handling is absolutely essential.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national staff members is required.
- A demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately, meet deadlines, and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
Application Closing Date
15th February, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and Cover Letters in one document not more than four (4) pages long, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: [email protected]
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.