Job Title: Head Mechanic | Head Mechanic at the British High Commission (BHC) | Job ID: 13/21 LOS
Grade: A2 (L)
Start Date: 1 November 2021
Type of Position: Permanent
Type of Post: British Deputy High Commission
Job Category: Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory: Corporate Services Support
Main Purpose of Job
- Overseeing the daily activities of the Lagos Transport Unit Workshop in compliance with FCDO policy and post regulations.
Roles and Responsibilities
What will the job holder be expected to achieve?:
- Line Manage and assign tasks to all members of staff of the Transport Unit Workshop
- Prepare vehicle maintenance schedule (Routine & Preventive)
- Prepare Leave Rosters for all members of the Transport Unit Workshop
- Conduct routine meetings with the Transport Manager and/or his deputy
- Ensure all vehicles being used are roadworthy.
- Strictly adhere to the weekly Preventive Vehicle Maintenance Schedule specific to Armoured Vehicles
- Strictly adhere to the monthly Routine Vehicle Maintenance Schedule for all vehicles
- Ensure vehicles undergo Full Service biannually or at every 10,000 km over the 5 years vehicle lifespan of 100,000 km.
- Call-in vehicles for remedial actions after they have been identified as faulty through the completed Daily FCDO Vehicle Checklist by drivers.
- Carry out diagnostic tests on vehicles to confirm what repairs are required for individual vehicles
- Monitor tools and machinery used by the Mechanics to ensure they are being properly used and maintained
- Closely monitor and ensure that requested parts by the mechanics are appropriate and are being used accordingly
- Ensure that Mechanics are properly geared up with the relevant PPEs when carrying out their duties
- Ensure vehicles being deployed for Upcountry trips are inspected and/or serviced before embarking on such trips and inspected on their return
- There must be Tool Boxes for all vehicles being deployed for Upcountry trips
- Ensure a tidy and safe environment is maintained at all times in line with health and safety standards
- Ensure vehicles of UK-Based Officers are properly maintained and billed accordingly.
- Please note: Maintenance work on Official vehicles supersedes that of private vehicles.
Ordering of Vehicle Spare parts:
- Identify fast moving consumables and ensure when orders are being made, 70% of all them are ordered from our overseas suppliers
- Local purchases must be in line with British Standards
- Liaising with the Requisition Team, Transport Manager and Store Keeper to raise Requisitions/Purchase Orders (POs) for depleted stocks and ensure there are adequate replacements for fast moving consumables.
- All items must be authorised by the Transport Manager and/or the Deputy before purchase.
- Collaborate with the Store Keeper to ensure proper records of repairs and corresponding costs are kept up to date in relevant logbooks
- Keep updated technical logs of all repairs and maintenance carried out on each vehicle
- Keep monthly records of vehicle servicing/maintenance schedule
- Track all replaced parts in collaboration with the Store Keeper to ensure they are properly disposed of in accordance with local Laws
- Collaborate with the Store Keeper in submitting a monthly report on the cost of maintenance of all BDHC vehicles for the attention of the Transport Manager
- Ensure vehicle accessories such as wheel Braces, First Aid kits Boxes, Fire Extinguishers, etc are intact and in place
Any Other duties:
- Carry out assigned tasks as directed by the Transport Manager
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Previous experience in maintaining Toyota Land Cruiser Armoured, Toyota Prados and IVECO Vehicles
- Experience of managing a large team to deliver a quality service in a high pressure environment
- Flexible approach to problem solving with an ability to think on their feet
- Demonstrate good interpersonal skills, self starter able to work with minimal supervision
- Good organisational skills – capable of working quickly and accurately
- Budgeting and financial management experience
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office tools
- Language: English, A good command of both verbal and Writing
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Relevant training records / certifcates in Vehicle Maintenance, General Administration, Customer Services.
- Familiar with the Nigerian transport system and the Lagos road networks
- Possess a valid drivers licence
- Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
N431, 507.86 / Month
Other Benefits and Conditions of Employment
- Full time position, with core working hours between 07:30 – 15:30 hours, Monday to Thursday and 07:30 – 12:30 hours on Friday. However, the job holder will need to be flexible to respond to incidents and operational demands as the need arises.
Application Closing Date
10th September, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Additional Information and Notice
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Deputy High Commission in Lagos are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to:
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
- The British Deputy High Commission does not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- The British Deputy High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.