Location: Onne, Rivers State | Title: Head of Operations | Maersk Nigeria (APM Terminals)
West Africa Container Terminal (WACT) is one of the first green field container terminal to be built in Nigeria under public private partnership. WACT is located in Onne port (some 30kms from Port-Harcourt) in Rivers State. We have been successfully connecting East, North, West Central Nigeria and Rivers state to the world.
We run a profitable business that has been made possible through top-quality services, cordial business relations with customers, regular interaction with stakeholders, human resource development, modern handling equipment and superior e-commerce capabilities.
We are a community of local and global employees, and we promote work-life balance for all our employees. For our EXPATRIATES, whether you decide to relocate your family to Nigeria, or keep them in your home country, our peculiarly-crafted commuter policy (in addition to Home Leave and Rest and Recuperation) ensures that you have a healthy work-life balance and maintain optimum family relationship which we recognize as crucial to achieving high performance.
Accommodation is provided in the serene, secure and well-laid out Prodeco Camp (Onne Estate) which is located within the port complex – less than 10-minute drive to the terminal.
The Estate provides amenities such as swimming pool, gymnasium, multi-purpose courts, football ground, supermarket, restaurant/bar and other modern amenities such as CCTV, electrified fence, routine and preventive maintenance, gardening, security systems.
A wide range of national and international career opportunities. Opportunities for professional growth in a dynamic environment acquiring skills, knowledge and exposure to a service provider set up & marketing of services. General exposure to terminal management
- Execute strategies for the operations department of WACT, in line with & contributing to the company vision & strategy. Manage the daily operations according to the agreed operating principles of the business and collaboration with other functions and customers.
- Participate in selection, negotiation & finalizing agreements with suppliers & customers & where appropriate be responsible for execution & maintenance of service levels as agreed.
- Participates as a key member of any steering committee for new projects, initiatives, and plays a leading role in defining project management strategies. Is responsible for timely deliverables of project plans.
- Contribute input to development in technology & systems as applicable to improve efficiencies in cost, productivity & customer experience.
- Ensure compliance with HSSE policies & procedures by all operational staff.
- Deliver a level of service to customers that is equal to best international standards.
- Drive and enforce safe working practices and ensure lost time injuries are kept to a minimum.
- Drive cost leadership by ensuring cost efficient operation.
- Liaise closely with shipping companies, customs agents, trucking companies, Customs, port authorities, and other statutory authorities to ensure that their requirements are timely met.
- Measure and monitor performance against critical criteria, policy and guidelines.
- Responsible for setting and achieving the targets for the Operations Function.
- Responsibility that all managers and labour in the operation are trained in best operation practices with regards to advanced operations strategies and new technology.
- Meet Company’s and its customer’s expectations with regard to operational efficiency, service delivery and reliability.
- Ensure that the terminal adheres to APM Terminals world standards for container terminal operations.
- Measure and monitor performance against key performance indicators, policy and guidelines established by APM Terminals.
- Manage employee engagement, development, performance issues including training, appraisals, discipline and grievances.
- The major impact will be the positive development and improvements in operational performance as a result of the main operational initiatives in the terminal.
- The incumbent is expected to steer the course of action that determines the achievement of results. Responsibility for the execution of main initiatives.
- The incumbent is expected to improve existing methodologies, processes and measurements when executing duties on an ongoing basis
- Responsible for implementation of AOP (Annual Operating Plans)
- The position is multi-dimensional
We are looking for
- Preferable a university degree in logistics, maritime and port, or process/industrial engineering or a marine qualification.
- Post graduate studies in Port and/or Terminal Management, or related business studies.
- Minimum 7 years in operations management roles in container terminals.
- Understanding of the container shipping industry and an ability to relate with shipping company and other associated industry managers.
- Experience of RTG, MHC deployment and operations is a must to support terminal upgrade.
- Experience of project implementation in a brown field project would be an advantage.
- Good communication skills with the ability to communicate across the organization.
- Experience in cost and productivity optimization through process optimization, as well as design and implementation of new operation procedures.
- Extensive understanding of modern terminal operations including computer terminal management systems
- Leads from the front with safety and acts as an example to others.
- Extensive knowledge of APM Terminals operational practices.
- Fluent in English.
- Experience in finance related matters, setting budgets and reporting against financial objectives.
- Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to provide leadership, obtain cooperation and assistance to meet objectives.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply