Human Resources & Admin Team Leader | Danish Refugee Council (DRC) | Location: Borno, Maiduguri
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
DRC has been operating in the West Africa region for over 15 years, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) Guinea, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger, Nigeria and a Regional Office (RO) in Abidjan. DRC has 17 offices and more than 500 staff members across the WA region.
DRC started operating in Nigeria in 2015 where plans to run a combination of emergency, livelihood, WASH, protection and advocacy programmes has been set. DRC currently has offices in Abuja, Yola, Mubi, Maiduguri and Yobe.
The HR Team Leader serves as the focal person for HR in the office covering Borno and Yobe states. Supports the preparation of HR tasks and maintenance of staff information. Works within the HR administration procedures of DRC, municipal policies and procedures and in compliance with all national acts and legislation. The HR Admin Team Leader supports the Head of Base with reports for senior management in-country.
- Manage Annual Leave, Sick Leave and other national staff leave. Ensure leave is approved in Dynamics and update the database.
- Coordinate with Team Leaders and Managers on Annual Leave Plan for all national staff at the location.
- Follow-up with the staff on a monthly basis on leave plan and obtain justification for not following the leave plans by national staff.
- Ensure all staff taxes and legislative obligations are done on time as per the government deadlines.
- Ensure all administrative matters are properly followed up and legally standing according to the Nigerian legal systems/requirements.
- Keep track, record and properly manage the issue and letters which DRC gets from governmental departments.
- To ensure staff requiring Visas and other legal documents are organized in a timely manner.
- Filing of all project-related documents and development of a transparent and efficient filing system of all administration records as per DRC filing procedures.
- Ensure all office utilities and infrastructures are appropriate, safe and functioning. (electricity, gas, security, up keeping of premises, health and safety, internet, telephones, photocopiers etc.).
- Coordinate the Admin staff to ensure all necessary office resources (Stationaries, office supplies, drinking water are stocked and managed.
- Coordinate the Admin Staff to ensure the guest house is properly managed.
- Organize meetings, training and other events.
- Coordinate the flight bookings and organize pick up/drop off for the passengers in coordination with the Logistics department.
- Manage consolidated local staff contact list & Institutional address list updated and submitted by HR Assistants from all Bases every month.
- Ensure all staff are given the contracts (along with the required attachment) & DRC ID cards on the first working day and staff information data is filled and filed.
- Follow up with the staff and obtain file one copy of staff contract along with the attachment in personal file.
- Ensure all staff personal files are updated according to the checklist/DRC procedures on a constant basis.
- Ensure all staff complete the Induction (as per the DRC induction checklist) before sent to work.
- Prepare the monthly Payroll Leave Schedule for national staff and share with HR Coordinator by 17th of every month.
- Ensure that all recruitments are done in accordance with DRC recruitment processes.
- Organize training on CoC and PSEA for staff. Brief on other HR policies/procedures to staff when it is necessary.
- Review HR-related documents before the Area Manager and CD approves.
- Ensure all new staff are hired in Dynamics
- Guide staff to log in to Dynamics and emails on the first day of resumption.
- Manage and ensure staff allocation and resources scheduling is completed at the end of each month
- Extend staff contract before expiration
- Manage leave request, irregularities with leave balances and guide staff.
- Coordinate training for staff on HR, Finance and Supply Chain Dynamics training.
- Follow up with Line supervisors and ensure the Performance (Probation) objectives are set and filed within two weeks of the appointment date.
- Ensure the reminders on staff performance (Probation) evaluations are sent to the line managers and final evaluations are filed before the deadline of Probation evaluation. (Performance evaluations has to be approved by the line manager and forwarded to the Country Director’s approval before filing).
- Ensure all probation and Performance appraisals are entered in Dynamics
- Facilitate regular staff communication, through arranging regular staff (preferably weekly) meetings and ensuring relevant information is being passed on to the field offices.
- The focal point for HR Administration in the office
- Serve as a technical resource person for the HR department.
- Report to the HR Coordinator any irregularities that occur within the DRC office, staff compound and sites on DRC policy and procedures.
- Follow any new procedures and guidelines designated in circulars from Country Director/HoSS/RO and HQ.
The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
University degree in Human Resources/Administration, Business Administration and other related disciplines
- At least three years’ work experience in the field of Human Resources and Administration in an NGO/Commercial sector.
- Hands-on experience/skills in MS Office applications
- Experienced in working with Homere
- Knowledge of ERP will be an added advantage.
- University degree in Human Resources/Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration.
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Fluency in local spoken languages.
Salary and conditions: In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of ;
The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for tax returns.
How to apply
The position is for NIGERIAN NATIONALS ONLY.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: “Recruitment Manager”.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
Deadline date. 8th September 2020 Applications sent/received after the deadline will not be considered.
Due to the urgency of the position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the post may be filled before the deadline.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for a written test and oral interview.
Note: DRC Nigeria does not charge any fees for recruitment and does not use any employment mediator.
Application Closing Date
8th September 2020
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply