Job Location: Dikwa, Borno Nigeria.
Infection, Prevention and Control (IPC) Officer
Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
DRC has been operating in the West Africa region for over 15 years, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) in Guinea, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger, Nigeria and a Regional Office (RO) in Abidjan. DRC has 17 offices and more than 500 staff members across the WA region.
DRC started operating in Nigeria in 2015 where plans to run a combination of emergency, livelihood, WASH, protection and advocacy programmes has been set. DRC currently has offices in Abuja, Yola, Mubi, Maiduguri and Yobe, besides 50 staff members subject to an increase in the near future.
DRC is seeking the services of a committed and competent Infection, Prevention and Control (IPC) Officer to join the Borno Team. Interested persons will be reporting to the Team Leader. The job requires someone who can provide COVID 19 related health advice to communities
The main duties and responsibilities will include but not limited to:
General Programming & Operations
- Facilitate formation of community structures in IPC and strengthening of the existing structures such as WASH Committees through training sensitization workshops and other IPC awareness campaigns.
- Design, develop and implement appropriate IPC mobilization strategies for DRC’s IPC projects.
- Develop IPC work plans for multi-funded projects.
- Ensure efficient and Effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan.
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/ reports and proposals and budgets for donors.
- Lead the IPC team in carrying out monitoring and evaluation exercises.
Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with relevant Internal and External health technical experts on issues related to IPC.
- Represent DRC at IPC meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings.
- Ensure integration of IPC activities with other DRC sectors.
- Coordinate with WASH, Shelter and Protection counterparts in other locations in the implementation of common funded projects.
- Ensure good representation and reputation of IPC sector at all levels.
- Actively participate in an internal coordination meeting
- Ensure and actively participate in regular sector meetings.
- Supervise IPC field-based casuals’ workers.
- Provide technical and programmatic leadership for the community-based mechanisms in operational areas as needed.
- Conduct daily field visits or as required to ensure IPC tasks are going on as planned and mentoring – through technical backstopping and training of duty bearers.
Logistics / Finance
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution.
- Ensure distribution plans are prepared and shared with logistics in a timely manner.
- Monitor and report health partners and DRC rational use of PPEs and other supplies
To be successful in this role, the candidate is expected to be honest, strongly motivated and display a high standard of integrity in humanitarian work, disciplined and team-oriented
- At least 2-year clinical experience with a combination of training and practical IPC experience.
- Thorough knowledge of IPC Approaches, training of trainers and facilitating menstrual hygiene sessions for women and girls.
- Knowledge & experience of dealing with commercial transporters and coordinating supply delivery to remote and insecure areas
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel).
- Sound judgment and the ability to work effectively with others at all levels
- Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and strategic planning skills
- IT literate, MS – Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Interpersonal communication and proven written / presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage under stressful conditions
Education: (including certification, licenses etc.)
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree in Environment Health Science, Biological Sciences, Public Health or Nursing degrees from a recognized institution
- Epidemiological experience
- Experience working in a public health emergency (i.e. Ebola, Lassa Fever, Chorea and etc).
- Flexible & willing to work in a remote setting & to travel to other field locations.
- Ability to multitask and work comfortably under pressure
- Experience from working in an (I)NGO is an asset
- Knowledge in Hausa
- Competent and literate in English, verbal and written, with a sound knowledge of technical expressions, any local speaking language will be an advantage
Salary and conditions: In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws.
How to apply
The position is for NIGERIAN NATIONALS ONLY.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: “the Recruitment Manager”
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
Deadline date. 26/05/2020
Applications sent/received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for a written test and oral interview.
- Due to the urgency for the deployment of this/these positions, recruitment will be done on a rolling basis
NB: DRC-DDG Nigeria does not charge any fees for recruitment and does not use any employment mediator.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult: www.drc.dk