Position Title : Information and Technology Officer
Duty Station : Abuja, Nigeria
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 24 March 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental andnon-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia;
Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; VanuatuSecond tier candidates include:All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.Context:Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, the direct supervision of Senior Resources Management Officer (SRMO), and in close consultation with Information and Communications Technology (ICT) in Headquarters (HQs), the Regional Office (RO) in Dakar and Manila Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Service Centre, the successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing the implementation of Information Technology (IT) network and infrastructure projects in Nigeria, on relevant and effective technology to be used in accordance with IOM’s ICT standards and policies.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Lead the IT support for all programmes by organizing activities and operations of ICT staff; support recruitment of local ICT staff and oversee the implementation of ICT projects.
- Propose, plan, design, implement and maintain an integrated mechanism for data and information management, including various in house and third-party applications across all mission activities to ensure most effective and efficient processes to deliver timely, accurate and reliable information for operational, monitoring and reporting purposes. As applicable, do not duplicate and integrate with corporate and central systems and reporting mechanisms.
- Champion and support the implementation of IOM corporate applications in field missions’ such as Migrant Management Operational Systems Application (MiMOSA), PRISM and others.
- Manage and maintain network WAN and LAN infrastructure, desktops and associated equipment in the IOM Nigeria Offices by providing technical advice to the country office and the sub-offices to maintain compliance with IOM standards.
- Ensure regularly and in close coordination with the SRMO that the budget planning is incorporated in project and mission budgets including IT staffing, infrastructure, replacement, upgrade, and maintenance needs.
- Train and supervise national IT staff in Nigeria Country Office including sub-offices.
- Monitor, propose and implement all necessary modifications in compliance with the information management systems and infrastructure as per IOM IT policies, standards and best practice for high performance, reliability and information security.
- Coordinate with Logistic and ensure proper technical specification for purchase of IT related equipment and propose most suitable solutions including innovation, recommendations for improvement.
- Plan and supervise the installation, operation and administration of security for the various systems and network components including virus protection and Internet security. Make sure to use innovative approaches to ensure users are educated about phishing, Password Cracking, Malwares, and etc.
- Provide Backup and Disaster Recovery Plans for mission databases and Email data.
- Carry out analysis on the ITC equipment, design and develop a replacement policy for the ITC equipment for the Mission.
- Guide and lead the digitalization process of the mission filling system and propose cost-effective solutions for keeping the digital files.
- Lead and coordinate the serverless process for IOM Abuja and sub-offices.
- Develop and implement a ticketing system for IOM Nigeria for ITC issues and trouble shootings. Organize and administer user support services for all staff in Nigeria and ensure proper response time in troubleshooting and resolving of all IT related issues.
- Ensure IOM ITC standards are implemented in the mission and the compliance with the standard ensured. Develop and implement basic ITC procedures for operating and maintenance of IT equipment and with work with the Mission Asset tracker to properly assign the ITC equipment to users.
- Build relationships and liaise with local IT partners, suppliers and providers.
Required Qualifications and Experience:Education
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics, Statistics, Electrical Engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Progressively responsible experience in planning, design, development, implementation, and maintenance of computer information systems, or related area;
- Experience configuring and working with Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) and SQL Server 2008 and Visual Studio 2010, required;
- Extensive knowledge of Windows Active Directory and Messaging Systems;
- Cisco devices, VPN, VoIP, MS Office, Antivirus Software and utilities; holder of CCNA and/or a Microsoft Certification a distinct advantage;
- Knowledge of IT Service Management frameworks such as ITIL, COBIT;
- Knowledge of Software & Systems Development Life Cycle and experience in managing applications development and/or support teams.
- Effective resource management skills and strategic and creative thinking;
- Ability to prioritize tasks and strong organizational skills;
- Ability to develop clear and concise proposals;
- Ability to supervise and direct staff under critical and stressful situations;
- Effective problem-solving approach, ability to work in a cross-divisional team and ability to quickly understand IOM business processes.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of any local language, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database(https://whed.net/home.php).
Required Competencies:Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdfCompetencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.Other:Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.