Intern — NEPA
Requisition Number 2022-12364 # of Openings 1 | Office Location US-UT-Salt Lake City Program Environmental Planning/Permitting | Hire Type: Temporary Hourly/ Salary: hourly
About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants seeks to fill an intern position for our environmental planning/National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) work in our Salt Lake City, UT office. SWCA’s planning internship position will provide the opportunity to develop a better understanding of the environmental consulting and the planning profession. You will receive a preview of different aspects of environmental consulting such as client relationships, proposal development, analysis, GIS, report writing, and compliance with federal, Utah state, and local requirements.
The internship will last approximately from January through May 2023. The position requires that the individual can work at least fifteen (15) hours per week. All applications must be received by 5:00 PM PST on December 31, 2022. This is a paid internship.
Please submit a resume, a cover letter, a relevant technical writing sample, and the name of one academic or professional reference who can comment on your abilities for this internship.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
Our Vision (the North Star): Help drive SWCA to be the best workplace and industry leader in sustainability, bringing sound science and creative solutions to global environmental challenges while maintaining a dedication to employee-ownership.
Core Values: We are #OneSWCA and collaborate across all our offices, programs, and disciplines. We are #AlwaysLearning, we #NeverSettle and we #GiveBack. We are 100% employee-owned, and we build our success together. It is imperative for the successful candidate to fit SWCA’s unique culture. Do you appreciate sustainability and environmental awareness? Is giving back to your community a priority? SWCA is a team of scientists, planners, technical experts, and corporate services professionals that are committed to our culture.
Purpose: Our company purpose is to preserve natural and cultural resources for tomorrow while enabling projects that benefit people today. You are invited to be a part of our success story.
What you will accomplish
- Assist in the preparation of environmental documents for a variety of state and federal agencies.
- Provide assistance on a diverse type of NEPA projects, including alternative energy, transmission, land-use planning, water resources, and transportation-related projects.
- Learn to help write various sections of environmental documents and review/edit other sections prepared by technical specialists.
- Learn how SWCA advises clients on federal regulatory issues for projects across the company’s service area.
- Work closely with project managers, directors, and vice presidents throughout the company to promote SWCA’s business interests in adherence to its mission, vision, and values.
Experience and qualifications for success
- Currently enrolled in a college or university, pursuing a bachelor’s degree in an environmental related field, or a recent graduate.
- Or, applicants could be currently obtaining a master’s degree in sustainability, biology, geography, ecology, environmental policy, natural sciences, or a related field.
- Ph.D. candidates are not eligible through this program.
- Must have completed 60 credit hours and a minimum of a junior classification by January 3, 2023.
- Applicant should be completing or have completed studies in the natural sciences such as environmental science, natural resource conservation, biology, wetland science, soil science, or natural resource management.
- Proficient in MS Office products
- Ability to work a varying schedule.