Latest jobs vacancies at INTERSOS Nigeria May 2022
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
May 2022. Consultant Flying Psychiatrist (M/F) – Partner with SV (Stichting Vluchteling), Nigeria
Job Code: SR-999-2397
Employment Type: Contract
Duty Station: Field-based position, flying across different contexts (Nigeria, Iraq, Cameroon), one month per location. Timeline of visits to be discussed.
Starting Date: 1st April, 2022
Contract Duration: 3 months. Consultancy contract
Reporting to: Medical Team Leader
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General Content of the Project
- Stichting Vluchteling is an organization with approximately 35 employees and is based in The Hague (the Netherlands). SV (Stichting Vluchteling) is an emergency relief organization that works worldwide for aid for refugees. Thanks to the support of over 200,000 donors, we provide immediate help in an emergency, such as shelter, medical care, clean drinking water and sanitation.
- The project for non-communicable disease/ MH care is designed and implemented in collaboration with INTERSOS. The Mental health clinical advisor works closely with the responsible technical advisor of the implementing partner.
General Purpose of the Position
- Stichting Vluchteling(SV) is piloting an innovative simple model of care based of integrated NCD and MHPSS care in primary health care in various humanitarian settings with a focus on refugees and displaced people.
- The main responsibility of the consultant is to provide expert advice on the current model and its implementation, to propose advise to strengthen the overall success for the teams and for the organization to continue developing in the field of specialised MH services.
- In particular, an advice on the overall effectiveness of the program in improving patient’s wellbeing and the identification of structural challenges faced across contexts together with ways to overcome them would be among the most important outcomes expected.
- The successful applicant will report to the medical team leader. He/she will be the functional link to different profiles in the field according to the project type This is a field-based position, flying across different contexts (Nigeria, Iraq, Cameroon), one month per location. Timeline of visits to be discussed.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
Ideally the consultant will visit each project for the duration of one month and reports about that visit. Report will include:
- Availability of facilities providing psychiatric services in country (4W – Who/What/When/Where) including possibilities for psychiatric hospitalization and the quality of the services provided (including governmental institutions ,NGO/INGOs) as well as of the facilities where the project offer psychiatric services both outpatient and inpatient
- Assessment of the current model implementation focusing on strengths and weaknesses and work with the field team to identify a mitigation plan. This includes:
- Assessment of Mh-Gap training implementation and supervision plan (modality of supervision on site vs remote, provide suggestions on the tools used to structure and monitor the supervision
- Assessment of staff involved in MH care (GPs, psychiatrist and other MhGAP-trained), staff competencies and suggestion of capacity building/training plan and possible follow up (how, who could deliver trainings, delivery modality online vs face to face). Whenever feasible ad hoc trainings can take place during the visit itself
- Assessment of prescription of psychiatric medication (challenges and possible solutions)
- Review of the psychiatric medications used in the project with respect to the common drugs used for other NCDs (according to the MhGAP list and drugs available in the project)
- Advise methods or guidance – how to recognize , monitor interactions and manage interactions (close monitoring and dose adjustment or discontinuation of medications)
- Monitoring : Assessment of patient documentation and data collection accuracy and reliability (focusing also on respect of patient confidentiality) and Propose a concrete way to assess and report on the quality of psychiatric care objectively and desired patient outcomes in psychiatric care.
- Clinical experience (including inpatient care) > 5 years
- Experience in humanitarian contexts, working with NGO/in the field mandatory
- Strong knowledge of MhGap mandatory, ToT for MhGap desirable.
- Fluency and oral in English is required, in French desirable
- Demonstrable experience of working and constructively participating as part of a multi-cultural team.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online