Title: Lead Automotive Mechanic – All Interested Candidates (Auto Mechanic Foreman) | U.S. Mission to Nigeria | Location: Lagos
Announcement Number: Lagos-2020-042
Series / Grade: LE – 1020 7
Promotion Potential: LE-7
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
Appointment Type: Permanent
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 07. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- Summary: The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (48 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Under the supervisor of the General Services Officer (GSO) and the Motor Pool Supervisor (MPS), the incumbent is responsible for the Motor Pool (MP) Garage operation, in accordance with Department of State (DOS) regulations and post policy. S/he supervises three mechanics, two auto body fenders, one auto painter, one electrician, and two boat mechanics.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Education Requirements: Completion of elementary school with vocational training or apprenticeship recognized as producing journeyman automotive mechanic skills or equivalent is required.
- Experience: Two (2) years of journeyman automotive mechanic experience, and one (1) year of supervisory automotive mechanic experience working on American vehicle/engines is required.
- Knowledge: Must have good working knowledge of standard procedures and regulations, as well as journeyman automotive trade knowledge. Must have excellent knowledge base of American motor vehicles.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Good working knowledge (speaking/reading/writing) in English language is required.
Skills And Abilities:
- Must have good communication skills and be familiar with Word, Excel, Internet, and email. Must have a valid Nigerian drivers’ license to operate cars, trucks, buses, and other vehicles as needed. Must posses strong leadership skill with the ability to lift 30lbs (14kg) weight manually. Weights above 30 lbs should be operated with aid of machine.
Equal Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
NGN7,658,885 / USD37,680 Annually
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
Application Closing Date
17th September, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Primary School Certificate
- Driver’s License
- Certificate or License
For EFMs, in addition to the above:
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria.