Title: Legal Counsel | Location: Lagos | Pettysave
Contract Type: Full Time
Pettysave is a technology company that builds economic and internet infrastructure to aid people in their path to financial freedom.
- Pettysave provides economic and technology infrastructure that makes it easier for people to attain financial freedom. We operate in the asset management industry know for its commercial toughness and regulatory problems, and we’re looking for an experienced legal counsel to join our amazing Legal and Compliance team and spearhead initiatives.
- In this role you will work with talented people throughout the company, and will deal with a diverse set of matters that straddle financial services, business processes, and technology. The ideal candidate is passionate about our mission of helping people grow wealth. We’re looking for someone who is a team player and willing to jump in on tasks of any size.
- Experience in financial regulations and asset management is mandatory, but procedural knowledge in technology and payments processing are beneficial but not required.
- Actively collaborate and counsel a wide variety of teams at Pettysave on a range of issues related to market expansion, regulatory compliance, product development, consumer protection, internet regulation, disputes (pre-litigation), data protection and commercialization
- Work closely with colleagues and management to support Pettysave’s regulatory structure, strategic financial partnerships, and other legal matters
- Participate as a proactive business partner to senior managers and build a trusted advisor relationship
- Help us to manage regulatory risk, allowing to create products and expand internationally in a way that meets our obligations, as well as the needs of our customers
- Contribute to licensing and prudential matters and the maintenance of our core regulatory programs
- Structure, draft and negotiate key infrastructure deals with our financial partners
- Help build scalable and effective processes for legal review and launch of products
- Support business and functional teams dealing with regulatory issues relating to our users
- Manage outside counsel to ensure timely and knowledgeable support of critical matters
- Conduct legal research into high value regulatory topics, identifying and evaluating business and legal risks, and finding creative ways to mitigate them while achieving business goals.
- Stay up-to-date with international laws and regulations dealing with privacy, data security, consumer protection, financial services, and marketing as pertaining our business model
- Advise on the impact of forthcoming new laws and regulations
- Represent Pettysave on a variety of topics before regulators, banking partners, and other external audiences, and advise on our regulatory policy activities
- A law degree
- A minimum of 5 years combined relevant experience in a top law firm, government agency, and/or in-house legal team, preferably working on the legal and regulatory matters in the technology space
- A passion for technology and ability to understand complex business models and product use cases quickly
- Terrific communication skills (written and verbal), with an ability to make complex regulatory concepts clear to business teams, engineers, and regulators
- Excellent project management skills, and attention to detail
- Excellent risk-based judgment, and the ability to make smart decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information
- Excellent judgment, ability to navigate ambiguity and evolving regulatory spaces, and provide practical, solutions-oriented legal advice
- Be humble, curious about an evolving industry, and have an accommodating perspective for change
Nice to haves:
- Experience working on cross-border matters and working across different cultures
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply