- Job ID:43797
- Job Sector:Banking
- Location:Lagos Island
Legal: guidance across all areas and geographies to ensure: every transaction is appropriately negotiated, documented and implemented, losses arising from litigation are minimised, and legal issues carrying negative reputational consequences are avoided.
- The Legal Officer reports to the Head, Corporate & Investment Banking Legal
- Working closely with other Corporate & Investment Banking (“CIB”) Lawyers, the job holder will provide legal, regulatory, reputational and transactional advice and support in relation to the Client Coverage, Investment Banking, Global Markets and Transactional Products and services activities of Stanbic IBTC Bank PLC and Stanbic IBTC Capital Limited (together “Stanbic IBTC”), with the objective of assisting the business leaders of those businesses in achieving their business goals in a manner consistent with sound risk management.
- Partnering with the CIB embedded Legal teams in the Africa Regions countries and Johannesburg and the CIB Legal team Africa Regions to ensure an aligned and consistent level of service to the business.
- Provide legal support to the client coverage, investment banking, global markets and transactional products and services businesses
- Working closely with / and supporting the other CIB Lawyers, Head, Corporate & Investment Banking Legal and Head, Country Legal Services to provide the client coverage, investment banking, global markets and transactional products and services businesses with appropriate legal support.
- Being a trusted, solution-driven legal advisor and value-added partner to the client coverage, investment banking, global markets and transactional products and services businesses by providing timely, commercial and judgment-based legal advice, input and oversight. This facilitates informed, risk-based decision-making by the front office stakeholders in their activities and seamless coordination and implementation of deals;
- Engaging and working closely with external legal counsel as and when required and ensuring their accountability, cost efficiency and competitiveness and excellence in expertise and service delivery.
- Working closely with other CIB Lawyers to identify legal risks, providing actionable, solution-orientated advice to mitigate those risks, reporting incidents of non-compliance as necessary and ensuring risks are properly understood and mitigated;
- Where appropriate, drafting legal documentation;
- Manage all legal implementation of transactions.
- Develop and maintain strong and lasting relationships with various stakeholders across the organisation.
- Proactively develop and manage strong working relationships with front office staff and across business units.
- Build and maintain strong networks of internal clients and external parties.
- Engaging and working collaboratively with deal team members in cross border and multi jurisdictions to develop a harmonised approach to common issues and policies;
- Gain confidence of credit and other committees as a trusted legal adviser.
- Work within the CIB Legal team but independently on transactions.
- Build relationships with external counsel and other members of the CIB Legal team.
- Handle difficult situations tactfully and diplomatically.
Preferred Qualification and Experience
Qualifications and Experience
- LLB Law Degree
- BL Degree with at least 5 years post qualification experience with a solid technical grounding in corporate and commercial law, capital markets, banking and finance, corporate banking, syndicated loans, corporate finance and derivatives.
- Has sound technical understanding of Nigerian law and experience in corporate and commercial law, capital markets, banking and finance, corporate banking, capital raising, syndicated loans, corporate finance and derivatives and ability to translate and apply this knowledge to optimise the Corporate and Investment Banking relationship.
- Knowledge and awareness of the legal and regulatory frameworks in Nigeria governing various aspects of corporate and investment banking;
- Risk Management – Understands and manages strategic and operational risk within the relevant legal agreements, including understanding and conforming to the relevant processes and procedures within Legal (Risk) and all the CIB areas.
- Competencies required in delivering accurate and relevant results and assessing risk including attention to detail, delivery of accurate and relevant research, proactivity and timeous delivery of requirements, ownership of problems, understanding of impact of non-delivery and sub-standard performance.
- Strong commercial awareness, analytical abilities and problem- solving skills sufficient to maximise the solutions available within a given regulatory and legal context;
- Strong communication skills with the ability to effectively apply verbal, nonverbal and written communication methods to achieve desired results using a flexible interpersonal style. Demonstrates a sophisticated level of front line negotiation skills and professionalism in dealing with others.
- Influential skills sufficient to shape the decision-making process in situations where there may be a natural resistance to the advice.
- Strong work ethic
- Financial literacy (basic understanding of finance and financial terminology and concepts)
- Legal Drafting
- Legal knowledge
- Legal compliance
- Financial industry regulatory framework
- Written and verbal communication
- Risk awareness
PLEASE NOTE: All our recruitment and selection processes comply with applicable local laws and regulations. We will never ask for money or any form of payment as part of our recruitment process. If you experience this, please contact our Fraudline on +27 800222050 or forward to [email protected]