MasterCard | Job Title: Manager, Communications | Lagos, Nigeria
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company.
We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Job TitleManager, Communications
The Middle East and Africa region’s Communications area utilizes communications strategies and expertise to advance business priorities across the region. The main mandate of the MEA Communications team is to build and advance, as well as defend and protect, the reputation of MasterCard, its products, enterprise and brand.
The jobholder will join a highly driven African team focused on achieving rapid success and growth across the continent. He or she will have a track record at building competence and confidence in the strategic use of communications within the organization and will deliver impactful and credible communications to key external stakeholders, as well as the equally important employee base.
Based in either Lagos, Nigeria or Kenya, he or she will report to the Marketing and Communications Director: Sub Sahara Africa.
The individual will provide strategic counsel to the Sub-Saharan African senior management teams and support strategic business initiatives. He or she will partner with Marketing on brand building with a sophisticated approach to, and execution of, issues and reputation management.
• Leading development and implementation of a communications strategy for Mastercard in SSA, for both internal and external audiences.
• Aligning with regional Mastercard MEA communications strategy and operating as part of the MEA-wide communications team
• Working closely with country teams, internal business stakeholders and external customers e.g. banks, SME’s, govt, to design and implement communication strategies to support Mastercard SSA business strategy and build public understanding and share of voice.
• Identifying and lead message development discussions with country teams and customers, and oversee planning
• Establish tracking tools, measure and analyze data for continuous improvement of internal communications systems and programs
• Leads implementation of internal and external communications related to philanthropic programs to increase awareness and drive employee engagement
• Networks with stakeholders e.g., communication departments of banks, consumers, merchants, media partners, community leaders and governments
• Work closely with MasterCard’s PR Agencies in Africa to execute MasterCard’s Communications strategy. This includes managing day-to-day PR activities, creating tactical PR plans, editing content, briefing agencies on various projects etc.
• Manage major Sub-Saharan African events especially those attended by the Region’s President or by senior visiting executives like the MasterCard Africa Knowledge Forum, World Economic Forum Africa, African Banker Awards, etc. This includes creating briefing packs, scheduling meetings, venue bookings, managing PR agencies, etc.
• Plan and manage employee events including year-end functions, team off-sites, town halls etc.
• Play an active role in employee volunteering by identifying charitable causes, coordinating with NGOs and mobilizing employees.
• Leverage MasterCard’s digital and social communications platforms to ensure optimized share of voice for MasterCard in Africa and effective two-way communication.
All about you
• Master’s or bachelor’s degree in Communications, International Relations/Public Affairs, Journalism, Marketing, Political Science or other
• Extensive experience using traditional and social media publishing tools, and experience using social media listening tools as well as experience with web and social analytics and tools.
• High levels of initiative, judgment, and decisiveness in accomplishing tasks; proven ability to work independently; good time-management skills and an eye for detail; ability to work effectively under stress and to juggle multiple tasks within tight deadlines.
• Able to work with staff at various levels, from senior management to peers, to identify content opportunities/campaigns that deliver impact to broader business and IMC objectives; a proven communicator of ideas and leader in promoting tools that unlocks new ways of engaging audiences and supporting business objectives.
• Excellent copyediting and writing skills to produce top-level content and provide editorial oversight for social media channels. Ability to simplify complex topics
• Experience identifying risks and issues as related to Mastercard ‘s business
• Excellent project management skills and the ability to effectively collaborate across countries and business units.
• Team player who will work well with senior business and functional leaders of MasterCard South Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa.
• Keen understanding of the African scene beyond just media and into culture, economy, socio- politics and development agenda.
• Journalistic experience an advantage.Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact [email protected] and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply