Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects
Job Title: Head of Mission Support | Location: Abuja (FCT), with frequent visits to MSF intervention locations in Nigeria.
Employment Type: Full-time
Contract Period: Indefinite
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Supporting the HoM in promoting and protecting the MSF image externally and assisting in context analysis, disseminating relevant context information to the coordination team, regularly informing them on key issues, updating general information on the context for MSF internal documents and advising on cultural appropriateness of organized activities and individual behaviours.
- Analysing the risks and the security level of the context of the mission and assisting in conducting risk assessments and in the development, security plans for the mission and project. Advising the PC and HoM on aspects of Security management
- Establishing and maintaining external relationships with relevant authorities and stakeholders. Keeping good knowledge of counterparts in different administrations and departments and keeping up to date records of field contacts (other NGOs, UN agencies, local authorities, etc.) verifying that they are easily accessible, in order to facilitate contacts and meetings.
- At the request of the Head of Mission, assisting the HoM or representing MSF in meetings (NGOs, official bodies and administrations, etc.) and preparing full report
- Ensuring the follow up of relevant administrative dossiers such as the MSF registration in the country, working permits, immigration policies, national protocols, etc.
- At the request of the HoM, preparing and conducting an information briefing, focusing on the country context for International Regional and Relocated Staff
- Writing letters and correspondences with officials and partners and preparing reports, internal memos and formal requests. Monitoring the correspondences in the absence of the HoM.
- Assisting in the elaboration of the advocacy plan of the mission in collaboration with the PC, Medco and the Communications responsible and supporting its implementation and follow up.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- Regularly develop in depth analysis of the political, social and security dynamics in the country.
- Report on security trends across the country and maintain the logs of the event for the country.
- Cross check rumors about possible threats or incidents that could affect the operations of MSF in country.
- Advise the Head of Mission regarding risks and mitigation measures.
- Analyze the way in which MSF is perceived in the country and make recommendations to address any misperceptions.
- Support the Head of Mission in preparing and conducting exploratory missions and need analysis in the country.
- Brief all new international and local staff on the context and cultural aspects.
- Maintain a central contact database that is regularly updated with contacts from all project locations.
- Maintain a collaboration relationship with the team members in the mission and operational profiles throughout the mission with proper exchange of context and security.
Minimum Required skills and Qualification
- Essential: University Degree, preferably Master level in Political Science, International Relations, Law, Journalism.
- Three (3) years experience in the humanitarian field.
- Understanding of the functioning of the different administrations in Nigeria is essential.
- Experience working in political, security and humanitarian issues in Nigeria.
- Previous working experience working with MSF or other NGOs
- Work Experience in developing countries or similar context is desirable.
- Excellent proficiency in MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, internet and any other IT tools, such as GIS
- Good analytical skills, at ease with figures and economics data
- Excellent communication and diplomatic skills, including writing skills.
- English, Mission and local language is essential.
Application Closing Date
Wednesday 11th August, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Application including Cover Letter, Resume and copy of relevant Degrees, Certificates and NYSC Certificate / exemption to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Submit Hard Copy at:
No 14, Tennessee Crescent,
Maitama, Abuja (FCT).
- MSF is an equal opportunity employer; both men and women are encouraged to apply.
- Please note only short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for interview; MSF Belgium takes this opportunity to thank all potential candidates for their application.
- The following vacancy is open to all residents of Nigeria.