Latest careers and vacancies at Mercy Corps in Nigeria September, 2022.
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Mercy Corps has been working in Nigeria since 2012 in the most marginalized regions of the country to deliver urgent, life-saving assistance and promote development. We partner with communities to help them recover and rebuild while addressing the root causes of conflict, insecurity, and inequality. Every month we help ensure that more than 100,000 people have enough food to eat, and our work impacts the lives of over 600,000 people across the country..
Mercy Corps Recruitment and Jobs
September 28, 2022.
August 9, 2022
Mercy Corps NigeriaJob Title: Sub-Award & Compliance Assistant Job Code: SUBAW002671Location: Abuja (FCT)Position Status: Full-time, RegularJob Category: Finance & Compliance Program / Department Summary The Mercy Corps Subaward Unit is responsible… Read more here
August 9, 2022
Mercy Corps NigeriaJob Title: WASH Utility Engineer Location: ImoEmployment Type: Full-time, Regular Program / Department Summary Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa, and its influence spreads across the continent.… Read more here
Mercy Corps NigeriaJob Title: Program Support Intern Job Code: PROGR002672Location: Abuja (FCT)Position Status: Internship(6 months)Job Category: Programming Program / Department Summary Mercy Corps is implementing the Addressing Diverse and Acute Primary… Read more here
Mercy CorpsTitle: Enterprise Investment Funding Opportunity Reference: RRA/EIF/05Locations: Adamawa, Borno, Gombe and YobeEmployment Type: Contract Business Opportunities In Northeastern Nigeria Through this Funding Opportunity, the USAID-funded Feed the Future Nigeria Rural… Read more here
JULY 29, 2022
Mercy Corps NigeriaJob Title: Consultant – Dialogue Platforms… Read more here
JULY 29, 2022
Mercy Corps NigeriaJob Title: Community Liaison Assistant Location: GombePosition… Read more here
Monitoring and Evaluation Officer – Kano (GIRL-H)
Employment Type: Full-time – Regular
Supervisory Responsibility: None.
Reports Directly To:GIRL~H Program Manager and Research and Evidence Director.
Program / Department Summary
- Girls Improving Resilience through Livelihoods and Health (GIRL-H)is a three-year, multi-country program beingimplementedin Kenya, Uganda, Haiti and now expanding to Nigeria. In Nigeria, the program seeks to improve the well-being of adolescent girls, boys, and young people with diverse identities, which makes them have unique and distinctive needs and capabilities, by increasing their access to skills and knowledge, health resources, formal education, and economic opportunities.
- GIRL-H also fosters an enabling environment by working with communities to transform unhealthy social norms and create opportunities for adolescent girls, boys, and young people to access education and economic opportunity through an integrated approach to programming.
- Key to GIRL-H is a robust learning and research agenda that reaches across four focal countries to contribute to the evidence-based on what works to secure access to opportunities for adolescent girls, boys, and young people within the most marginalized communities and to better understand their contribution to household resilience.
- This evidence and learning will be shared to elevate Mercy Corps’ influence in the program participant’s space and to bolster fundraising efforts to scale the model. In coordination with the local partner organizations in Lagos and Kano states of Nigeria, the GIRL-H Program Officers will support the GIRL-H Program Manager in the routine implementation of the GIRL-H program activities.
General Position Summary
- Under the direct supervision of the GIRL-H Program Manager and GIRL-H Research & Evidence Director, the GIRL-H Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) Officer will support the program team with technical oversight and direction on all monitoring and evaluation needs across implementing areas.
- S/he will support the GIRL-H Program Manager in ensuring timely and quality reporting. The MEL Officer will support the provision of program staff with the information and training to capture monitoring metrics regularly and efficiently.
- S/he will coordinate and support quality data collection and analysis of activities and regularly provide technical oversight, problem-solving, and support to the GIRL-H activities in Nigeria.
- The MEL Officer will work directly with MEL Officers of the local partner organizations in Lagos and Kano states, ensure quality assurance of GIRL-H program implementation.
- S/he will contribute to the monitoring and evaluation functions related to tracking GIRL-H program progress and quality through program logframe, which provides an overview of a program’s goal, activities, and anticipated results while identifying how results will be monitored.
- S/he will be responsible for collecting useful, timely, and actionable information for management, and contribute to the frequent review, reflection, and key learning process to improve performance.
- The GIRL-H MEL Officer will oversee and ensure the collection of quality M&E data for the GIRL-H program, document M&E plans for the program, and develop the data management systems.
- S/he will assist in implementing review and learning processes (e.g., complaints mechanisms, feedback loops, lessons learned documentation and sharing, etc.).
- S/he will work closely with the local implementing partners and other stakeholders involved in program implementation in order to ensure a coherent and comprehensive program is implemented, lessons are learned and experiences are shared across the various sectors and program teams.
- The GIRL-H MEL Officer will provide support in the vacancies of an external evaluator review of tools which will form the basis of program monitoring and on-the-job assistance for local implementing partners.
- Additionally, the position requires management and analysis of cloud-based datasets for timely, and often real-time, visualization and utilization.
- The GIRL-H MEL Officer will work with the Research and Evidence Director to continue to develop an end-to-end standard for mobile data, which includes building and maintaining dashboards of program progress and performance.
- Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) is key to Mercy Corps programs, therefore the MEL Officer is required to own this component and ensure GESI sensitivity is integrated into his/her work area.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning:
- The GIRL-H MEL Officer will work with the Research and Evidence Director to develop appropriate monitoring, tracking, and reporting systems, tools, and templates (including an M&E plan) that enhance monitoring of program outputs and quality, generate quality evidence on program impact and promote and ensure the use of data for decision-making processes.
- Work with the Research and Evidence Director to develop, manage, and maintain up-to-date GIRL-H Program databases that reflect progress through Monitor and TolaData including Sex and Age Disaggregated Data (SADD) participants count, and facilitate timely information updates, data quality assurance, sharing of information and learning, etc, while ensuring consistent and accurate transfer of data from both physical and virtual assessments and monitoring tools to internal databases.
- S/He will carry out regular monitoring and field visits to Lagos and Kano program communities for spot checks, data collection and validation through post-distribution monitoring, focus group discussions, and key informant interviews, including data validation, assuring quality control measures, timely data submission in coordination with the local partners MEL Officers.
- S/He is responsible for data indicator tracking and analysis, linking it with evidence on a regular basis, and ensuring that data and metrics in field reports are accurate.
- Remain updated with developments among the Mercy Corps GIRL-H community and agency-wide MEL trends and resources, and ensure that the local implementing partners MEL team are applying Mercy Corps guidance and policies appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Play a key role in the development and leading in the review of result chains, intervention strategies, M&E frameworks, and document changes to generate learnings and ideas for the GIRL-H programs.
- While ensuring quality data collection for program activities, and monitoring the quality and completeness of data sets, the GIRL-H MEL Officer will further ensure the timely preparation of data analysis at the area level and share with the Research and Evidence Director for consolidation of internal and external quality and informative monthly and quarterly reports.
- S/He will lead and also participate in the development and implementation of assessments, studies, surveys, and data collection methodologies.
- S/He will work with the local implementing partners MEL Officers and Program teams to integrate M&E into the GIRL-H program planning and implementation systems and ensure adherence to Mercy Corps M&E minimum standards.
- Coordinate with the MEL Officers of the local implementing partners in Lagos and Kano States to ensure timely quality data collection and entry.
- Support use of digital data collection for M&E needs wherever possible.
- Support documentation of program progress through tracking attendance sheets, photos, etc.
- Lead in the development of reports on monitoring findings and program participants’ stories.
- In conjunction with the GIRL-H Program Manager, lead in Lessons Learned sessions and disseminate results across the teams.
Data Analysis and Reporting:
- Support the program team in data collection and data analysis.
- Liaise with other program teams and M&E staff as required to ensure that the program databases complement and align with each other. This will ensure that data on program outputs and program impacts are aligned and reported together.
- Coordinate with the GIRL-H program team and the local implementing partners team to review indicator updates on a monthly basis.
- Generate and integrate data reports in the form of tables, graphs, charts, narratives, and appealing visuals from the program databases at regular intervals, ensuring reports/information are available for program implementation staff as required, and to fulfil internal and external reporting requirements.
- Facilitate data analysis with the program implementation team as requested, while reviewing and editing data in reports as requested and required.
- Contribute to program achievement reporting on TOLA, Activity Info, and other relevant reporting mechanisms.
- Support in the intra-agency referral mechanism.
- The MEL Officer will strengthen the capacities of all relevant team members to develop and maintain a robust M&E system.
- S/He will strengthen the capacity of local implementing partners in the area of M&E and reporting.
- Adapt existing protocols and plans to mentor and coach colleagues to enable them to develop high-quality reports.
Accountability to Program Participants:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging participants’ communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring, and evaluation of our field activities.
- The GIRL – H MEL Officer will ensure that Mercy Corps’ Community Feedback and Accountability Mechanism is clearly communicated to program participants and that the hotline numbers are visible to end participants throughout the program.
- S/He will ensure all activities are gender-sensitive and follow Mercy Corps’ Gender Equity Policy, apply Do No Harm standards to ensure activities do not have detrimental effects on vulnerable communities.
Influence and Representation:
- Support and coordinate field learning visits from LGAs, wards, districts, communities, partners, and external visitors, such as donors and media, in collaboration with GIRL~H Program Manager.
- Support the GIRL~H Program Manager in coordination and communication of field activities with other non-governmental organizations, state, and local government partners for effective synergy, thereby avoiding service duplication, but enhancing support for an enabling environment for GIRL~H program interventions.
- Establish and maintain a productive working relationship with the GIRL~H Program Manager, local implementing partners, stakeholders, and work in unison to develop complementary joint monitoring, evaluation, and adaptive management structures where possible.
Ethics and Integrity:
- All Mercy Corps staff are expected to behave ethically and demonstrate the highest integrity in their professional and personal life. Mercy Corps has zero tolerance for any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment, or exploitation. Any breach of our policies or misconduct will lead to disciplinary action or may lead to termination.
- Ensure data protection policies are adhered to, establishing security controls for software, hardware, and archive beneficiary databases.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Works Directly with:
- Local implementing partners field team (Program, MEL, Finance, HR, Operations), and global GIRL~H technical team.
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/S or equivalent, preferable in Social Sciences, Business Administration, Public Administration, International Development, or other relevant disciplines.
- 3-5 years M&E and/or other relevant experience in either program implementation, coordination, analysis, or monitoring and evaluation essentials.
- The capacity to produce coherent, quality reports, and the ability to think critically and analyze quantitative and qualitative data.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Previous experience working with an international non-governmental organization.
- Good level of proficiency in Windows Excel, developing data management systems including ONA/KoBo/ODK.
- Relevant experience in field survey/data collection techniques, data entry, data verification, analysis, good understanding, and skills in data management.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, team coordination, listening, and consensus-building skills.
- The successful GIRL~H MEL Officer will be bright, energetic, hard-working and eager to learn.S/he will take a deep personal interest in humanitarian and development assistance.
- S/he will be attentive to detail and able to carry out assigned tasks in a timely manner and according to a very high standard of quality.
- S/he will be creative and flexible, contributing to developing and encouraging and innovative solutions, but at the same time will not have any difficulty in adhering to systems and procedures.
- S/he will strictly follow all protocols related to safety and security and holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Mercy Corps’ values.
- Excellent team and interpersonal relationship skills, with demonstrated ability to work effectively in complex environments is key.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
- This position is based in Kano.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed. Team members are expected to conduct themselves professionally and respect local laws, customs, and Mercy Corps policies, procedures, and values always and in all in-country venues. Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision.
Application Closing Date
2nd May, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply.