Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning Specialist |Plan International | Job Location: Abuja
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
Working together with children, young people, supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges girls and vulnerable children face. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years and are now active in more than 70 countries, driving changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. Plan International is registered in Nigeria with the Corporate Affairs Commission.
Plan International is an independent child rights and humanitarian organization committed to children living a life free of poverty, violence and injustice. We actively unite children, communities and other people who share our mission to make positive lasting changes in children’s and young people’s lives. We support children to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to claim their rights to a fulfilling life, today and in the future. We place a specific focus on girls and women, who are most often left behind. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 75 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Plan has been operating in Nigeria since 2014, in Niger since 1998 and in Cameroon since 1996 helping poor children to access their rights to health, education, protection and livelihoods. Plan works to bring long lasting improvements to children’s lives. Plan‘s main goals are that: Children grow well in a healthy environment; Children participate in the development process; Adults, particularly women, acquire literacy and life skills; Communities are well organized in order to protect children.
Plan International has full-fledged Country programmes in three out of four affected countries around the Lake Chad and developed a joint programme approach for its Lake Chad Response Programme, focusing on Child Protection in Emergencies, Sexual and Gender-based Violence, Education in Emergencies as well as Youth Economic Empowerment and Livelihoods.
The MERL-Specialist is in charge of maintaining a regional M&E Framework for the Lake Chad Response Programme, including the development of respective instruments and data collection tools to measure the impact of our programme. Furthermore, s/he will support the M&E specialists at country level to improve DRM programme quality and accountability through a) enhancing MERL capacity, networking and learning with regards to the Programme Quality, b) supporting and implementing high quality MERL and c) providing evidence for programme design, planning and effectiveness. S/he makes sure that MERL practices used within the Lake Chad countries are shared with the regional MERL network.
Dimension of Role:
- Responsible for the maintenance and revision of the Lake Chad M&E Framework including instruments and tools for data collection with a strong focus on impact monitoring
- Responsible for overseeing the measurement of Key Outcome Indicators per technical sector (CPIE, SGBV, EiE, YEE and Livelihoods)
- Supporting M&E specialists at country level in the effective implementation of the Lake Chad M&E Framework
- Supporting research on subjects of interest to the Lake Chad programme
- Facilitates the Lake Chad M&E technical network
- Member of the Lake Chad Unit
- Matrix managed by the Lake Chad Programme Manager and the Regional Head of MERL
- No line management responsibility
- Lake Chad programme projects have quality M&E frameworks and are implemented according to the standards
- Provides ongoing online and on-site technical support and oversight to the countries to ensure quality design and implementation of project M&E frameworks
- Maintain updated and reliable Indicators Performance Tracking Table for the Lake Chad Program
- Tracks Lake Chad data for the bi-monthly Snapshot.
- Analyse and produce a quarterly report on the progress of the performance indicators for the Lake Chad Programme
- Design ToR for and lead studies and evaluations
- Conduct periodic data quality control measures and propose and implement actions to strengthen the existing M&E systems in the countries
- Promote innovative approaches and tools to improve effectiveness and efficiency
- Supports Lake Chad Programme Manager in review of Lake Chad Programme Strategy and Country Response Plans for integration of effective MERL measures
- Ensures effective implementation of the MERL standards in the Lake Chad region
- Supports the development and establishment of complaints and feedback mechanisms throughout the Lake Chad Response Programme and the programme implementation in line with the Core Humanitarian Standard
- Produces a quarterly report on the complaints and feedback collected for the Lake Chad Program
2. MERL specialists at country level are coached and supported to deliver quality results in DRM context
- Coaches and mentors country-level MERL staff to leverage lessons learned, best practices, programme data, evaluations and provide evidence based information, proposal annexes, success stories, case studies and other high quality, results-based documentation
- Supports capacity development of MERL specialists at CO level in alignment with relevant programme and MERL policies and standards in DRM context
- Prepares and facilitates regular MERL Lake Chad network meetings
- Conducts staff trainings on high quality monitoring, evaluation and research processes in DRM context
3. DRM aspect of the MERL work is improved in the West and Central Africa Region
- Supports regional gender transformative research projects (including conduct of literature reviews, writing of concepts notes and ToR, guidance and supervision of consultants, report reviews)
- Disseminates research results (for example, writing of abstracts and summary papers, presentations at conferences and workshops, designing of dissemination material)
- Documents and disseminates internally good practices on MER and programme quality in DRM context
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
Master degree in Social science or equivalent (demography, measurement, planning, monitoring & evaluation, development or humanitarian studies)
At least 05 years of experience in monitoring, evaluation and research functions including knowledge management
- Understanding of the international humanitarian system, international humanitarian standards (Sphere, INEE, CPIE, CHS)
- Knowledge of theories of rights-based programming and child protection (programmatic and safe-guarding)
- Knowledge of the Lake Chad context including trends, challenges and opportunities and implications to community development as well as social cohesion is an advantage
- Demonstrated experience as a development or humanitarian professional in planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating programs
- Knowledgeable on participatory MER tools and systems
- Knowledgeable on tool design for qualitative and quantitative research
- Strong planning and organisational skills
- Skills in managing qualitative and quantitative data collections
- Working experience in community participation in development/programming
- Skills for data base management (design, entry, analysis)
- Strong analytical skills
- Extensive working experience of SAP and SAP BI Online
- Ability to deliver to tight deadlines
- Demonstrated facilitation and active listening skills
- Good presentation skills
- Solid writing skills (report writing, concept paper writing etc.)
- Fluency in French and English
- Skills in using Microsoft Office and other software applications relevant to MER (e.g. MAXQDA, SPSS, epi-info, CSPro or similar)Behaviours
Coaches and builds capacity of MERL staff at country level
Promotes innovation and learning
Communicates clearly and effectively
Strong team building and motivational skills
Demonstrates clear respect of all and especially children and women without discrimination
Involves others in setting and achieving goals
Demonstrates honesty and transparency in holding self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and Plan’s standards of behaviour
Sees contribution of own part of the organisation in wider Plan and external context
Balances future vision with practical delivery
Cross culturally adept
Acts as a team player, willing to get the best outcome overall, adjusting own priorities if necessary
Promotes a strong learning culture in the organisation
Remains calm and positive under pressure and in difficult situations
Committed to promoting gender equality at the workplace and beyond.
High level contact:Internal:
Lake Chad Programme Manager
The Lake Chad Steering Committee
Lake Chad MERL network (country level MERL teams);
RH MERL unit
Partners at sub-regional and country level
Medium level contact:
PU staff / staff of field offices
International Programmes Department at GH.
Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities. Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date
22nd October 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply