Job Title: Operator, Security Operations Centre | United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) | Job ID: 33510
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family: Crisis Prevention and Recovery – RADIO OPERATIONS
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: Common System
Bureau: Crisis Prevention & Recovery
Contract Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
- Under the direct guidance and supervision of the SOC/Supervisor (SOC/S) and overall supervision of the respective FSCO, the SOC/O is assuring continuous and effective functioning of Security Communications System (SCS) and other operational communications related tasks to the implementation of safety and security for UN personnel within respective Area of Responsibility (AOR).
- The SOC/O is required to provide timely and accurate technical advice to SOC/S keeping the designated Security Area Field Security Coordination Officer (FSCO) informed.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To ensure the undisrupted functioning of SCS within AOR.
- To ensure that the Area SOC keeps a 24/7 watch to collect all available info in their AOR and send it to the FSCO and the Senior SOC/S through the Country SOC.
- To monitors the security situation within AOR;
- To monitor/track/report UN movement and activities within given AOR.
- To maintain and update the Daily Staff List for respective AOR.
- To serve in the shift duty and operates SCS equipment installed in SOC.
- To maintain the availability of HF, UHF and/or VHF radio communication means for extreme emergencies.
- To provide technical communications support to SOC/S; to provide technical support to the maintenance, and repair of communications equipment.
- To advise SOC/S of practical means to enhance communication capability.
- To draft and disseminate the Security Information Threat (STIs) notices, alerts, warnings, advisories, and updates.
- To draft and disseminate Daily Media Monitoring Reports;
- Any other task directed by designated FSCO and SOC/S.
The key results have an impact on the accurate and timely implementation of the overall UN security program within given AOR through the functioning, effective, and efficient communications of information and instructions, particularly during emergency conditions. The functions and associated key results ensure UN policy compliance and practical capabilities throughout the AOR.
Required Skills and Experience
- High School and Technical qualification in Communications.
- The bachelor’s degree is preferred but not a requirement.
- Recognized certificates in radio communication is desirable.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in practical communications implementation, preferably in the military or police context, or related field of work.
- Prior experience with the UN system or international NGOs is an advantage.
- Fluency in English language.
- Respect for diversity
- Client orientation
- Technological Awareness
- Commitment to continuous learning.
Application Closing Date
17th November, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Important applicant information
- *Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.