Job Title: Program Officer – Child Health, Nutrition and Routine Immunization | Locations: Ebonyi and Abuja | Reports to: Program Manager
South Saharan Social Development Organisation (SSDO), a non-profit organization in Nigeria, with a primary focus of equipping women youth and children with the social, health, economic, educational and political skills needed to survive and compete favourably in a vastly changing and urbanizing sub-saharan Africa is looking to recruit PASSIONATE, DEPENDABLE, and SMART individuals as Community Volunteers on its Orphan and Vulnerable Children Program in Enugu State.
- The goal of the USAID Integrated Health Program (IHP) is to contribute to state-level reductions in child and maternal morbidity and mortality and to increase the capacity of health systems (public and private) to sustainably support quality primary health care services.
- SSDO will implement a grant for competency-based skills training of healthcare providers at Primary Healthcare Centres (PHCs) and private health facilities (PHFs) on child health, immunization and nutrition services in Ebonyi and or FCT.
- This training will use a Low Dose High frequency (LDHF) modular training approach and will involve onsite facility-based training, supervision and clinical mentoring of the health workers on child health thematic areas including Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (IMCI), Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) and other areas of Nutrition and Routine Immunization.
Duties and Responsibilities
Using the Low Dose High Frequency (LDHF) facility-based training approach to:
- Facilitate the Update of health workers knowledge and standardize clinical skills for accurate identification and classification of common childhood illnesses (pneumonia, diarrhoea, measles and malnutrition)
- Strengthen the capacity of health workers in providing appropriate integrated treatment, care and support to the sick child, as well as counselling support to the caregivers of children under 5 years with dignity and respect.
- Enhance the skills and ability of health workers for prompt identification of general danger signs, administration of pre-referral treatment, prompt referral and follow up where applicable.
- Improve knowledge and skills of health workers on strengthening preventive services (checking of routine immunization status, early initiation of breastfeeding, counselling on exclusive breastfeeding (EBF), complementary feeding and growth monitoring), and counselling caregivers on health and nutrition promotion and support practices.
- Strengthen the capacity of health workers on correct and appropriate documentation of service delivery data for improved services and decision making.
- Provide post-training supportive supervision and clinical mentoring to reinforce knowledge and skills
Qualifications and Requirements
- MBBS or B.Sc in Nursing with 5 – year experience working with NGOs or INGOs on Child Health, Nutrition and Routine Immunization programs
- Demonstrate experience in training primary health workers in competency-based training methods
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Ability and willingness to stay at the LGA is required.
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions like long-distance walking to implementation sites.
- Excellent spoken and written Local dialects and English languages.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to prepare weekly and monthly program reports.
- Be flexible and adaptable with regards to the implementation of the daily work
Application Closing Date
30th September, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications (CV and Cover Letter as one document) to: [email protected] Kindly indicate the “Position and Location” you are applying for as the subject of the email.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Also, your application document must be saved in your full name preferably in MS Word format
- South Saharan Social Development Organisation is an equal opportunity employer.