Job Title: Programme Officer (Eye Health) | Sightsavers | Location: Kogi
Job type: 1 Year Fixed Term Contract
Reports to: Senior Programme Manager – Eye Health
Department: Operations, Planning & Performance
Sightsavers is an international organisation that changes lives for the long term. We work in more than 30 countries to eliminate avoidable blindness and support people with visual impairments to live independently.
- The Programme Officer (PO) – Eye Health will be a project staff member based in Kogi State and will be responsible for project coordination and implementation of Eye Health activities in Kogi State.
- He / she will focus on the DFID funded Disability Inclusive Development (DID) Inclusive Eye Health (IEH) programme and the Kogi State Eye Care programme.
- The officer’s responsibilities will also include coordination of all Disabled Persons Organisations’ (DPOs) activities as well as programme management and delivery of programme objectives and targets.
- He / she will work closely with the Senior Programme Manager – Eye Health to manage relationship with various partners – Kogi State Ministries of Health, Women and Social Development, Local Governments Areas (LGAs), communities and Disabled Persons Organisations (DPOs).
- He / she will also collaborate with other staff and partners to identify areas for project growth and assist in identifying and developing new initiatives.
Programme Management (50% of time):
- Support all Sightsavers supported eye health activities by providing effective management and coordination to the programme to ensure the delivery programme targets.
- Coordinate all DPO related activities as part of DID IEH project through working with different DPO groups to ensure adherence to workplans and budget for the achievement of planned project outputs.
- Coordinate capacity building initiatives for health workers, DPOs and senior management as required at the State and LGA levels.
- Support partner teams and DPO groups to identify and develop innovative approaches for the delivery of an inclusive eye health programme in the State.
- Coordinate the preparation of activity related reports as well as quarterly and annual reports to Sightsavers/donors as may be required.
Monitoring and Evaluation (30% of time):
- Support the Snr Programme Manager (Eye Health) in monitoring programme implementation in the State. Conduct quarterly programme visits and follow up on outstanding issues.
- Provide support to DPO groups and steering committee during targeted outreach activities and monitoring visits to project facilities.
- Support in reviewing the evidence provided by partners for the delivery of activities and ensure proper reporting system and records are kept in place.
- The position will be responsible for guiding the overall Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Strategy and use of M&E methodology necessary for attaining the project goals.
- Representation and Networking (10% of time):
- Represent the Snr Programme Manager at various meetings and discussions at relevant State Ministries and other agencies.
Research (10% of time):
- Coordinate the conduct of patient satisfaction study to assess the quality of services provided at project facilities.
- Provide support in any operational research that may be identified and assigned to the role.
- Country Director – Nigeria Country Office
- Senior Technical Leads – Eye Health and Social Inclusion
- Programme Advisor – Social Inclusion
- Global Technical Lead – Eye Health (West Africa)
- Senior Programme Manager – Eye Health
- Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) team
- Global research team
- Policy and advocacy team
- Institutional Funding Team (IFT)
- In-country programme staff
- Kogi State Ministries of Health, Women and Social development and Local Government Affairs
- State Hospital Services Management Board (HSMB)
Knowledge (Education & Related Experience)
Jobholder Entry Requirements – the essential knowledge, skills and behaviours required:
- Degree in Public Health, Sciences, or related disciplines (post-graduate degree will be an advantage).
- Extensive experience in programme / project management, ideally in an INGO setting.
- Technical knowledge of Eye Health in Nigeria.
- Understanding of Disability Inclusive Development
- Experience in working with DPO groups will be an added advantage
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation and research
- Understanding of the health system in Nigeria.
- Experience in advocacy.
Skills (Special Training or Competence):
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to build strong working relationships to enable effective management of partnerships and work collaboratively as part of the Nigeria Country team.
- Proven ability to think strategically and translate concepts into effective action plans.
- Proven experience in monitoring and evaluation of light to moderately complex projects.
- Programme management and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to understand and work with project budgets, forecasts, and reports.
- An understanding of and commitment to equality of opportunity for disabled people.
- Excellent networking and advocacy skills.
- People management skills with a strong understanding of culturally and ethnically sensitive issues.
- Ability to travel regularly to project sites
- Communicating & Influencing
- Team Working
- Planning & Organising
- Change & Improvement
- Decision Making
- Delivery and Implementation
- Interpersonal and intercultural sensitivity
- Active listener
Local terms and conditions will apply.
Application Closing Date
20th September, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply