The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
At USP everything we do is in service of our mission to help protect and improve the health of people around the world. From the standards we create to the partnerships we foster, we continually work to build and reinforce a foundation that draws us closer to a world where everyone can be confident of quality in health and healthcare.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Regional Lead
Job Type: Full-Time/Regular
Job Category Global Public Health
- The Regional Lead, Partnerships & Growth is a key position reporting into the Partnerships & Growth team within the Global Public Health division.
- The Regional Lead (Advisor) will work closely with technical and program leads to increase donor recognition, investments and funding for GPH’s service offerings in Africa and to increase USP’s relevance in public health across Africa.
- This includes staying abreast of key developments in public health and more specifically in the pharmaceutical sector, including across the supply chain, regulatory functions and local manufacturing as well as broader country health strategies and plans.
- The Regional Lead will work closely with the VP for Partnerships & Growth, the SVP and other senior staff to further drive growth through market intelligence, advocacy and relationship-building in Africa.
- This externally facing role will interface with key external stakeholders across Africa, including, donors, partners and other influencers and governance bodies such as the African Union and the Regional Economic Communities and other regional networks. The Regional Lead will represent USP at key events and in forums throughout Africa, in coordination with the Global Public Health Leadership team and other key senior staff.
- The Regional Lead will work collaboratively with business development and project implementation teams to maintain positive relationships with key donors, partners and other relevant stakeholders, leveraging existing portfolios to influence investment levels as they relate to high priority sectors of interest for GPH.
Roles and Responsibilities
Grow and Diversify Revenue:
- Lead the development and roll-out of a cohesive Africa strategy focused on increasing USP’s funding pipeline and influence in key sectors related to public health and the pharmaceutical sector, building on the organization’s decades of work in the region and under the guidance of the VP, P&G, the SVP for Global Public Health, and other GPH technical leads
- With the business development lead, develop a clear and ambitious multi-year fundraising strategy, driving towards increased impact and reach across Africa
- Work closely with country and technical staff to build relationships with funders implementing partners to grow the Africa portfolio including helping country teams build strategic relationships and a broad understanding of the health situation in countries of operation with a focus on medical products and care and treatment programs more broadly
- Draft content for proposals and at times, lead the development of a sound project strategy for key funding opportunities
- With support from the Senior Manager for External Engagement, and in coordination with country and technical leads, optimize visibility at important donor, partner and government fora in key settings in Africa, including with the African Union/AUDA-NEPAD, UN and WHO regional offices, Gates, Global Fund, the World Bank, AfD, etc.
- Identify and foster new partnerships with local and regional NGOs, private sector companies, regional donors and influencers
- Represent GPH at key fora and ensure appropriate representation from across the organization in all key meetings and events in the region
- Inform, advocate and present on GPH offerings in support of diversification goals/increase funding for USP in the region – in coordination with country, program and technical staff
- Contribute to developing collateral materials as appropriate
- Masters’ degree in International Affairs, International Development or a closely related field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in international development, including 5-7 contributing significantly to new business efforts; at least 5 of those years in public health leading regional and/or multi-country approaches in Africa (program management/oversight and/or new business development efforts).
- Experience living and working in 2 or more countries in Africa
- Proven experience driving growth and increased visibility for an international NGO
- Ability to make significant contributions to development and execution of business plans, including marketing strategies and tactics.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate, influence and manage risk.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and ability to be a team player at all levels.
- Proven ability to conduct competitive assessments and demonstrated ability to foster collaboration and influence teams in a matrixed environment.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills with ability to present to senior level executives and government representatives
- Experience in presenting before technical audiences.
- French language skills preferred
- Ability to travel up to 50%.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online