United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) | Job Title: Senior External Relations Officer | Job ID: 20316
Location: Abuja, Nigeria |Salary Grade: P4
Hardship Level: C
Family Location Type
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
- The Senior External Relations Officer normally reports to the Representative or Deputy Representative. The incumbent has direct supervisory responsibility for External Relations staff.
- External contacts are predominantly with partners, media, government, embassies and other international organizations in the country on matters of importance to the organization.
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks
- In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Stay abreast of the challenges posed by the political context, the UN and humanitarian reform, and institutional developments in the area of forced displacement and humanitarian operations.
- Through a consultative process with UNHCR colleagues (Programme, Protection, etc.) with external actors and partners, develop and implement protection and assistance strategy, with clearly articulated objectives, timelines and outputs.
- Implement a communications strategy that generates support for UNHCR¿s operations from external partners (e.g. the general public, governments, partners, the media, academia and persons of concern).
- Articulate all issues pertaining to the needs of the populations of concern and the strategies in place to respond to their needs.
- Ensure that the UNHCR priorities are given adequate weight in the documentation of the UN Country Team.
- Maintain a close dialogue with and provide accurate information to donors by organizing regular briefings, bilateral meetings and donor missions. Prepare reports as appropriate.
- In accordance with the operational context and in close cooperation with headquarters, access new and non-traditional funding sources, as appropriate, including private sector and humanitarian pooled/basket funds (e.g. Central Emergency Response Fund, Human Security Fund).
- Through a consultative process with headquarters, disseminate information on UNHCR’s global funding situation and mobilize additional funds to implement special projects aimed at enhancing the quality of protection for persons of concern in the country operation.
- Participate in inter-agency cooperation and communication strategies, initiatives and tools.
- Support senior management in representing UNHCR in the UN Country Team and other UN coordination fora.
- Support, and participate in, local UN integrated missions, Inter-Agency Standing Committee, Emergency Relief Coordinator and Cluster communication strategies and initiatives.
- Manage the information flow within the country operations by identifying priority matters, securing, analyzing and disseminating documentation and information to support country operations and corporate communication processes and priorities.
- Consolidate information on UNHCR¿s country operations and identify appropriate messages for campaigns and appeals.
- Coordinate the drafting of, and/or draft, situation reports, briefing notes, background material, talking points, fact sheets, press releases and articles.
- Develop targeted communications strategies and media packages for situations and/or activities that require focused attention.
- Identify and target major events and initiatives (e.g. commercial, cultural, political and sports) to promote the work of UNHCR.
- Manage media relations by, inter alia, responding to direct queries, publishing press releases and organizing regular briefings and visits to country operations.
- Approve fund-raising messages.
- Approve any relevant expenditure for the implementation of fund-raising activities.
- Decide which donors to approach and which operations or activities to prioritize for special fundraising appeals.
- Approve the communications strategy.
- Approve budgets and expenditures for communications activities.
- Clear external relations/communication products and tools.
- Represent UNHCR fund-raising and communication priorities in inter-agency initiatives and fora.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience:
- Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For P4 / NOD 9 years relevant experience with Undergraduate Degree; or 8 years relevant experience with Graduate Degree; or 7 years relevant experience with Doctorate Degree
Field(s) of Education:
- Political Sciences; Social Sciences; International Relations; Journalism; or other relevant field.
Certificates and / or Licenses
- Not specified.
Relevant Job Experience
- Experience in humanitarian operations in a field environment.
- Excellent knowledge of local institution, politics and culture.
- Good knowledge of UNHCR operations both at Headquarters and in the Field.
- Fund-raising and programming/programme management experience.
- Experience of working with social media.
- MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation
- IT-Web Content Management
- IT-Computer Literacy
- ER-Communications/media/digital/social media communicat. monitoring/analysis/presentation
- ER-Inter-Agency External Relations
- ER-Inter-Agency Leadership/Coordination
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
- C001L3 Accountability Level 3
- C002L3 Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
- C003L3 Communication Level 3
- C004L3 Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
- C005L3 Client & Result Orientation Level 3
- C006L3 Organizational Awareness Level 3
- M001L3 Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
- M005L3 Leadership Level 3
- M002L3 Managing Performance Level 3
- M003L3 Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
- M004L3 Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
- X001L3 Analytical Thinking Level 3
- X007L3 Political Awareness Level 3.
Application Closing Date
11th June, 2020 (Midnight Geneva time).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce
- Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
- UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).