Job Title: Senior Journalist, BBC Disinformation Unit, | Job Location: Abuja | BBC
Challenging disinformation is a strategic objective for World Service and it is now setting up a new Disinformation Unit to tackle fake news. Producing high-impact and original journalism, the unit will work closely with our West Africa language services, based in Lagos, to provide our global audiences with reliable news to spot disinformation and keep themselves immune from fake news.Main Responsibilities
- Overseeing systematic tracking of spread of disinformation across Africa’s digital platforms
- Identifying trends in spread of disinformation content using analytic tools and traditional journalism techniques.
- Producing and commissioning human interest stories that show the impact of disinformation and conspiracy theories on people’s lives
- Producing, commissioning and editing disinformation content optimized for websites and social media platforms
- Monitoring closed or anonymous groups on social media that could be source of disinformation
- Identification and production of accurate, fast-reaction reports to debunk viral misinformation that matters to language services and their audiences
- Planning for coverage of big news events which might give rise to fake news
- Liaising with social teams in BBC Africa and BBC News to amplify the reach and impact of our original content
- Going on air, if necessary, to share editorial insights with our audiences
- Working closely with editorial teams to improve collaboration in content production and sharing resources
- Explaining complex data stories data through graphics, charts and other visual journalism tools.
- Using audience participation tools and collaborating with Marketing and Audiences, SEO and UGC teams, etc. to be aware of our audiences’ needs and interests and engage with them
- Deputizing the Disinformation Editor and signing-off content whenever necessary
Are you the right candidate?
- Proven experience of leading an editorial team in a dispersed operation and of making sound judgements on sensitive editorial issues.
- A successful record in digital news production with demonstrable experience of writing text and producing video content to the highest editorial standards. The successful candidate will be proficient in FCP and/or QEdit to a high professional standard, with a good working knowledge of CPS beneficial.
- A clear understanding of the needs and profile of our target audiences across World Service and the ability to translate these into imaginative and compelling multi-platform content.
- Demonstrable experience of producing impactful content for social media. Experience of reaching new audiences on social and knowledge of social media best practice, key opportunities and of BBC/WS social strategy.
- Excellent Hausa and English writing and sub-editing skills and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Fluency in one of our other West African languages (Igbo, Pidgin, Yoruba) is advantageous.
- A clear understanding of BBC’s editorial policy as well as procedures around investigations, and experience of dealing with legally tricky stories.
About the BBC
- Snakes In Toilet Bowl: How They Get In, Safety And Preventive MeasuresThe toilet is usually a safe and most relaxing place for man, going by recent events it is somewhat gradually becoming a source of worry and a death trap. Over the last couple… Read more »
Reinventing the BBC for the next Generation
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual’s unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. And we promote flexible working opportunities where operational needs allow.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click herePackage Description
Contract: Fixed term contract/attachment until 31/03/2022.
Local terms and conditions apply.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Snakes In Toilet Bowl: How They Get In, Safety And Preventive MeasuresThe toilet is usually a safe and most relaxing place for man, going… Read more »
- Online Photography – Simple Steps To Make Money From Digital PhotographyThe internet has an extraordinarily large number of photographic artists keen on making… Read more »