Job Title: Senior Officer, Human Resources
Job Number: S01902
Contract Type: Employee
Duration: 12 Months
Grade: Not applicable
- Reporting to the Head of Abuja Delegation, and as part of the Africa HR team, the Senior HR Officer is responsible for leading, implementing, and advancing HR projects related to HR systems.
- He/She establishes, cultivates, and maintains ongoing relationships with the Regional and Global HR team as well as with client groups to ensure a clear understanding and agreement among these collaborators of the engagement required towards meeting the objectives related to the projects under implementation.
- An important aspect of the position is to work closely with the national societies in the Abuja Delegation to support their work in strengthening HR structures (30% of the time).
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Recruitment and Resourcing:
- Manage the whole recruitment process for Delegates and National Staff – from advertisement and selection, through contract, to support and briefing for the start of employment.
- Ensure job descriptions are appropriate and relevant from a technical point of view by liaising with relevant technical units.
- Make the job classification according to the salaries grid positions.
- Create/advertise and manage the vacancies on Ifrcjobs,coordinate external vacancy advertising.
- Screen applications, liaise with hiring managers regarding short-listed applicants.
- Together with main stakeholders (delegations and technical units) ensure short-listed candidates are suitable by doing competency and motivational interviews
- Promote equity, transparency, and consistency in the selection process.
- Strategic and tailored offer to selected candidates (International/National Staff)
- Liaise with Nairobi for International staff.
- Liaise with National Societies for sponsored candidates.
- Share the Operations recruitment weekly updated.
- Support effective and timely recruitment processes in or out of the Abuja Country Cluster region in close collaboration with the Africa Region.
- Administer the end to end contracting for all types of contracts
- In liaison with regional HR focal points follow up on e-boarding programmes in the region.
- In liaison with regional HR focal points, review National staff contracts for accuracy and alignment with the local labour laws within IFRC countries of operations.
- Ensure that all aspects of HR Admin – D365 input, contract management, personnel files are efficiently managed and completed.
- Ensure that all HR processes comply with laws governing us (Labour Act, Staff Regulations, Code of Conduct).
- Ensure that all Delegates/staff have in country ID cards and business cards upon arrival.
- Prepare and organize in collaboration with the others departments, the induction of staff (Welcome note, Briefing schedule, supervise the Briefing process for delegates and national staff.
- Follow up on Staffs contracts (starting date, end date and extension if needed)
- Follow up of probationary period and manage in collaboration with Line managers, the end of probationary period according to HR guidelines
- Manage staffing contact list as well as staff database and ensure its distribution on a weekly basis.
- Make regular update of the leave status or leave planning system
- Work closely in collaboration with the Administration Officer to make arrangements for travel, accommodation and visa for incoming and outgoing international delegates or national staff.
- Manage with the support of the Administration Officer the international staff health issues within Nigeria and update regularly the Listing for all Delegates in country to be share with medicals facilities partners for any medical treatment in case of sickness.
- Manage in collaboration with the Administration Officer, the Staffs insurance in collaboration with the insurance companies (update of the list of Staffs and their relatives for the medical insurance, to request their incorporation and disincorporation at each start and end of contract).
- Ensure Delegates and National Staff complete their end of mission formalities with all Departments and turnover all Admin items (ID Card, keys, dongle, phone, laptop, sim card) before departure in collaboration with the others departments.
Job Duties and Responsibilities (continued):
Payroll Management – Compensation and benefits:
- Ensuring that the pay practices comply with state and federal laws and regulations
- Manage the administration of the social security and pension for national staff, and ensure the proper implementation of the same
- Prepare payroll list, make it validated (by the Head of Country Cluster and the Finance Delegate)
- Forward it to the Finance + Payslips for Salaries, Tax and Pension Funds payment processing
- Follow up the payment of taxes and social taxes by the Finance and make the double archiving of the documents and receipts transmitted by the Finance.
- Updating and maintaining payroll records.
- Maintain updated information on staff salaries, allowances and ensure compliance with current laws and regulations in close collaboration with the HRD and Finance Department.
- Administering the organization’s benefits programs (retirement plans, leave policies, wellness programs, insurance policies)
- Calculation and payment of termination payments.
- For salaries revision, conduct a cost of living study and try to make the comparison with others NGO’s before requesting the validation and signatures requested.
- Work alongside managers to develop and establish highest levels of performance from their staff.
- Guide managers to perform the whole range of performance management activities (e.g. set objectives, appraisal, identify gaps and contribute to the definition of training and development actions as appropriate.
- Provide guidance and support to managers and staff in cases of poor performance and disciplinary situations.
- Share information received from Staff Development with all the team
- Train staff in the use of the relevant tools e.g. performance online and advocate for highest standards of performance management.
- Ensure that staff are timely appraised and monitor quality of evaluations in compiling final appraisals for the HR files.
Capacity Building and staff Development:
- In coordination with units, implement timely and effective staff learning and development programmes.
- Advise delegates and national staff on HR policies and practices, advocate for staff to management, consult with Legal unit, Health officer and Stress counsellor as appropriate on matters affecting staff including occupational health and stress related issues.
- Be the partner of delegates and national staff, listen to them, provide answer to their queries, provide professional advice.
- Organise training for the Staff on HR policies.
- Encourage the staff to make online courses and use the learning platform.
- Develop staff skills by the management and supervision of the various trainings (Internal, External, on the field or at Headquarter).
- Ensure Compliance by all client groups to all Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) in activities related to workforce planning and staff welfare with all systems and procedures to ensure consistency, integrity and accountability within the set quality standards in the stream of work; ensure implementation of audit recommendations; advice on corrective measures and establish relevant controls.
- Maintain safe and secure filing system for Human resource documents.
- Ensure effective working relationships with HR unit colleagues, with client groups at all levels within the Africa region and at Geneva Secretariat level.
- Relevant University Degree field or (HR/ Business Administration or equivalent). Required
- Professional qualification in HR and registration with a professional HR Body. Required.
- Post Graduate qualification is an added advantage. Preferred
- 5 year’s relevant professional HR practice.
- Experience of facilitating recruitment and on boarding processes.
- Experience of working for the Red Cross and Red Crescent.
- Experience working with governmental and international non-governmental
- Organizations, authorities and agencies.
- Experience of handling confidential information.
- Experience handling employee relations matters.
- Experience in preparing staff payroll.
Knowledge, Skills and Language:
- Understanding of key policies and practices relevant to an emergency setting, such as rest & recuperation, security procedures, psychological resilience, protection from sexual abuse, child protection, whistleblowing etc.
- Self-supporting in computers (Windows, spreadsheets, etc.)
- Ability to communicate with internal employees and external associates on all levels.
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural, cross-functional and multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to work with complete integrity and confidentiality.
- Excellent organizational, planning and influencing skills.
- Diplomacy skills.
- Skills in training and developing staff.
- Fluently spoken and written English.
- Good command of another IFRC official language (French, Spanish or Arabic)
Competencies and Values:
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Judgement and Decision Making
- National Society and Customer Relations
- Creativity and Innovation
- Building Trust.
Application Closing Date
7th August, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online