Job Title: Senior Technical Advisor (SDGs) | Location: Abuja, Nigeria | The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Job ID: 31214
Posting Type: Common System
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Practice Area – Job Family: Poverty Reduction – SUSTENABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS
Contract Duration: 1year with possibility of extension
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
- The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) were adopted in September 2015 in New York, as the successor to the unfinished business of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). In order to fast tract, it implementation in Nigeria, a technical collaboration between the Office of the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Sustainable Development Goals (OSSAP-SDGs) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has been developed.
- The technical collaboration is aimed coordinating the partnerships for SDGs implementation between MDAs at the National level, between the national and sub-national governments as well as between the government and the private sector. The approach builds on the work already done by both institutions during the implementation of the MDGs.
- This recruitment will help strengthen technical capacity of the OSSAP-SDGs to provide guidance on strategies and policies on SDGs to the Government, coordinate activities on SDGs including VNR and Progress reports, represent the SSAP-SDGs at high level forums and ensure that the 17SDGs are aligned to the medium-term plans at both national and sub-national levels especially at the sector levels and its implementation are also consistent with the implementation of the domestic development plans.
- Given the national and State level peculiarities, the recruited Staff member will help facilitate the localization of the SDGs at the tiers of government and its subsequent mainstreaming into the plans in addition to the specific duties and responsibilities states in section III below. The overriding purpose is therefore to strengthen the technical leadership for SDGs implementation and coordination at both the State and federal levels through the office of SSAP- SDGs in Abuja, Nigeria.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In this section list the five primary responsibilities of the position. As needed add additional context below the responsibilities. Under the guidance of UNDP Economic Advisor, the candidate will:
- Represent OSSAP-SDGs in all SDG matters both at national and international level.
- Lead in preparing annual work plans for the SDGs Office.
- Compile Quarterly and Annual SDGs progress reports.
- Draft policy documents, presentations, statements, speeches for OSSAP SDGs.
- Coordinate the entire international cooperation framework of the SDGs office; liaising with the line MDAs, the NBS and other relevant stakeholders to collate, analyze and disseminate data relevant to the SDGs.
- Liaise with the MFBNP, the UNDP and other key stakeholders to ensure the integration of the SDGs into the National and State-level Development Plans, MTSS and Medium-Term Expenditure Framework.
- Coordinate budget preparation process to ensure the DRGs are appropriated as agreed with the Paris Club.
- Undertakes capacity-building of national counterparts with respect to SDGs Mainstreaming into Policies, Plans and Budgets.
- Design new programmes and interventions for accelerating the SDGs at the national and sub-national levels.
- Identify and works with key partners/stakeholders to ensure synergies with other projects/initiatives and to avoid duplication of activities among actors.
- Coordinate the production of various reports including Voluntary National Reviews and SDG Progress Reports
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Social Sciences, Humanities, Development and Law. A Doctorate Degree will be an added advantage.
- Ten years’ experience in Development Work.
- Familiarity with SDGs mainstreaming principles and processes.
- Knowledge of SDGs issues at both national and sub-national government.
- Demonstrated working experience with government institutions in Nigeria.
- Computer literacy skills.
- Good written and oral communication skills in English.
- Knowledge of at least on Nigerian language.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done
Technical / Functional
- Advocacy / Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating SDGs implementation.
Building Strategic Partnerships:
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up to date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches:
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches.
Job Knowledge / Technical Expertise:
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up to date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals:
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Identifies and takes advantage of opportunities for advocating for UNDP’s mandate
- Knowledge Management
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge.
Application Closing Date
8th July, 2020. (Midnight New York, USA)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Important Applicant Information and Notice
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- Workforce diversity: UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
- Scam warning: The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.