Title: Strategic Communications Consultant | Location: Remote, Nigeria | Start date: June 2021 | LOE: estimated at 5 working days per month | Development Alternatives Incorporated (DAI)
The purpose of the five-year (2020-2025) “State Accountability, Transparency and Effectiveness” (“State2State”) Activity is to increase the accountability, transparency and effectiveness of selected state and local governments (LGAs) in Nigeria. This will be achieved by: strengthening governance systems (with a focus on public financial management [PFM] and procurement, as well as monitoring and evaluation) related to the delivery of services in key sectors (basic education, primary health care, and water, sanitation and hygiene [WASH]); increasing government responsiveness to citizen needs and priorities; and improving government and civil society capacity to manage conflict (through work on prevention, mitigation and reconciliation with the same sectoral partners, not stand-alone assistance to the police or judiciary). State2State will achieve this purpose by facilitating the strengthening of subnational governance systems in a sustainable manner, supporting the efforts of local reformers and building on locally derived solutions including, to the extent possible, reforms already working in other parts of Nigeria.
The Strategic Communications Advisor will provide ongoing communications working closely with and through the State2State Communications and Knowledge Management Specialist.
Work with the State2State Communications and Knowledge Management Specialist and in coordination with the COP, DCOP, and State Leads to:
- Assist in developing State2State’s communication strategy.
- Support the development of on-demand information/communications products requested by USAID or other stakeholders.
- Integrate, edit, and finalize State2State communications products, including drafting written materials, fact sheets, success stories, PowerPoint presentations, press releases, and regular reporting requirements (USAID quarterly, annual, technical reports, etc.). Oversee submission of high-quality deliverables.
- Work with staff to develop and produce communications, knowledge management and outreach materials. Collect and organize data and information from the relevant programmatic teams on progress of project activities and service delivery.
- Develop website and social media content, for internal and external communications.
- Develop innovative communication products to inform and engage State2State’s diverse set of stakeholders.
- Provide quality assurance on USAID branding and marking.
- Advise on operationalizing State2State’s communications and KM strategy, including proactive development of communications and knowledge management materials to actively engage stakeholders.
- Advise on initiatives to foster continual collaboration, learning and adaptation (CLA) of the KM strategy to ensure quality and improvement.
- Recommend and oversee implementation of additional methods of identifying and assessing program impact. Participate in the design and implementation of critical learning tools.
- Provide suggestions regarding strategic initiatives and activities (such as ceremonies, forums, and high-visibility events), as needed.
- Other tasks as needed.
- Ad-hoc and recurrent project communications and publicity materials (press releases, announcements, articles, reports, etc.).
- A relevant degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or relevant field required. Master’s degree preferable.
- At least ten (10) years of demonstrated experience in designing appropriate communications strategies and deliverables to effectively communicate project strategy and activities, with progressively responsible experience in communications and international development. Previous experience working on communications for governance programs preferred.
- Demonstrated effective training, capacity building and coaching skills, with at least five (5) years of experience building staff and stakeholder capacity in communication products.
- Ability to work independently, manage competing deliverables and self-motivate while also employ strong leadership and organizat ional skills. Will work collaboratively with a large multi-disciplinary technical team and project-dedicated communications staff.
- Must be capable of producing high -quality work, often under time pressure and in complex situations.
- Prior experience working on communications with USAID-funded projects is required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Fluency in English is required.
- Computer literacy in word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software (Microsoft Office).
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply