Support Services Officer
Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Job Type : Full Time • Job Location: Michika, Adamawa state
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
DRC has been operating in the West Africa region for over 15 years, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) in Guinea, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger, Nigeria and a Regional Office (RO) in Abidjan. DRC has 17 offices and more than 500 staff members across the WA region.
DRC started operating in Nigeria in 2015 where plans to run a combination of emergency, livelihood, WASH, protection and advocacy programmes has been set. DRC currently has offices in Abuja, Yola, Mubi, Michika, Maiduguri and Yobe, besides 268 staff members subject to an increase in the near future.
DRC is seeking the services of a committed and competent Support Services Officer – COVID 19 Response to join the Adamawa Team. Interested persons will be reporting to the HR Team Leader. Provide support to DRC field programmes by undertaking technical and practical tasks to ensure the smooth, safe and efficient operation of supply chain and or support activities in accordance with the Operations Handbook and Program Manual, with adherence to donor guidelines.
The main duties and responsibilities will include but not limited to:
Assets and Supply Management
- Maintain the records of Assets, Equipment for the field office in line with the Assets recording system for the country programme.
- Ensure that the assets that are issued to staff are authorized, recorded and necessary paper work exists as per the DRC policy.
- Ensure that all assets are properly maintained and looked after. Any misuse and abuse are reported to the AM and the Supply Chain Coordinator.
- Ensure day to day management of building, properties and supplies to ensure they are safe and in enough, properly resupplied, and in good working order for use by field staff.
Inventories and Stock Management
- To help if required to the Warehouse Assistant and Supply Chain Officer in the field to assure that the stock items are safely stored and correctly recorded as per the guidelines and the warehouse/stores are well maintained.
Power Systems Management
- Ensure all power generation equipment, electric appliances and power systems are well maintained
- Ensure issues related to power systems are timely reported and solutions are sought under the guidance of the Area Manager / Supply Chain Coordinator.
- Monthly reports of use and maintenance are produced and submitted to the Area Manager and Supply Chain Coordinator.
Safety and Security
- Ensure that DRC Safety Protocol and SoPs are observed and respected.
- Ensure the implementation of the evacuation plan in case of need.
- Ensure that First Aid Kit and Hibernation kit are available up to standard.
- Ensure the daily communication with DRC Safety Department.
- Ensure daily communication to other managers and UNHAS flight focal point to ensure all staff are aware of flight times and are well-prepared.
- Communicate and act as a focal point in the event of an incident or urgent situation.
General Work and Filing
- Implement standard DRC supply chain systems and procedures
- Ensure health and safety policy is implemented and matters related to are reported to the designated responsible manager.
- Provide technical inputs on procurements related to vehicles, generators & power systems and other technical items required for supply chain operations.
- Ensure all paperwork is kept according to DRC’s policies and procedures of and filed neatly with supporting documents in respective files.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties requested by line manager, where they do contradict the organization’s policies.
To be successful in this role, the candidate is expected to be honest, strongly motivated and display a high standard of integrity in humanitarian work, disciplined and team-oriented
- At least 2 years’ experience in an NGO setting.
- Ability to plan and execute in a timely and quality manner
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel).
- Sound judgment and the ability to work effectively with others at all levels
- Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and strategic planning skills
- IT literate, MS – Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Interpersonal communication and proven written / presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage under stressful conditions
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree or higher diploma in logistics and supply chain, Human Resources Management, Administration or any relevant administration related certification.
- Driving license
- Understanding and experience of security management.
- Experience from working in an (I)NGO
- Flexible & willing to work in a remote setting & to travel to other field locations.
- Ability to multitask and work comfortably under pressure
- Experience from working in an (I)NGO is an asset
- Knowledge in Hausa
- Competent and literate in English, verbal and written, with a sound knowledge of technical expressions, any local speaking language will be an advantage
Salary and conditions: In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws.
How to apply
The position is for NIGERIAN NATIONALS ONLY.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: “the Recruitment Manager”
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
Deadline date. 20/05/2020
Applications sent/received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for a written test and oral interview.
NB: DRC-DDG Nigeria does not charge any fees for recruitment and does not use any employment mediator.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult: www.drc.dk
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is widely recognised as provider of efficient and community-oriented solutions to human security problems caused by landmines and other explosive remnants of war as well as small arms and light weapons.
DDG is part of DRC (Danish Refugee Council), founded in Denmark in 1956, and which is Denmark’s largest and the world’s leading non-profit, independent, rights-based refugee organization.
Our vision is to assist refugees, internally displaced people and their host communities to a dignified life. We protect lives and human rights and empower beneficiaries throughout conflict displacement by providing shelter, food, and hope in terms of work, education and integration towards a sustainable future.