The seed of Bayero University Kano was the Ahmadu Bello College set up in 1960, located within the School for Arabic Studies (SAS), in the old city of Kano. With the establishment of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, in 1962, it was renamed Abdullahi Bayero College. In 1964 it moved to a temporary site at the old Kano Airport Hotel, admitting its first set of ten undergraduate students for a B.A. degree programme of Ahmadu Bello University.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: University Librarian
- The University Librarian is a Principal Officer answerable to the Vice-Chancellor for the day-to-day administration and control of Library matters in the University.
- He/she shall be in charge of the management and administration of the University Library as well as branch libraries in faculties and centres of the University.
- He/she shall also be responsible for linkages with other library organisations and publishers, both national and international.
Candidate shall possess the following qualifications and qualities:
- A relevant PhD Degree
- Versatility in Information Technology (IT) and library automation
- A good record of scholarly publications through reputable medium
- Shall not be below the rank of a Senior Lecturer or equivalent in a university setting
- Shall have a minimum of 10 years’ cognate experience and the capacity to initiate research in a university system or comparable organization
- Shall not be above the age of 65 years at the point of assumption of duty
- Membership of Relevant Professional Association is an added advantage.
- The applicant must currently not be below the rank of a Deputy Bursar or equivalent and must have a minimum of 15 years of cognate experience, at least 10 years of which must have been spent in the University System.
Condition of Service
- The successful candidate shall hold office for a non-renewable single term of five years under such other terms and conditions as applicable to Federal Universities in Nigeria, and as may be approved/reviewed by the University Governing Council.
The salary and other conditions of service shall be in accordance with what obtains in the Nigerian University System.
Application Closing Date
16th February, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit twenty (20) copies of their Applications and Comprehensive Curriculum Vitae with Contact Telephone Numbers and email addresses, as well as copies of supporting documents under confidential cover in an envelope sealed and marked “APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF UNIVERSITY LIBRARIAN” to:
PMB 3011, Kano,
Note: Candidates should request three referees (at least one of whom shall be a professional or an authority in the relevant field) to send confidential reports on them.