Latest Jobs vacancies at UpEnergy – Nigeria October 2022
UpEnergy brings aspirational energy saving products within reach for low-income communities. We create valuable health and environmental outcomes by providing our users with products that improve their lives every day. Our approach combines local, on-the-ground teams leveraging our platform to best serve users, with over a decade of experience building platforms that generate valuable carbon emission reductions and allow us to provide our products to local communities at affordable subsidized prices.
October 2022 Country Director, Nigeria
Employment Type: Full-time
About the role
- UpEnergy is at a time of exciting growth, expanding both in terms of product and geographic portfolio.
- We seek a Country Director in Nigeria to lead the team and manage our on-the-ground operations. Taking the lead in developing business lines and carbon emission reduction partnerships. This is an exciting opportunity to drive organizational growth at a profitable social enterprise with the required capital for growth.
- The Country Director will also be responsible for initiating, growing and improving UpEnergy’s distribution operations, supply chain, and marketing.
- The role will require an entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to find, assess, and test models and products to serve low-income customers in Africa.
- In addition to the ability to capture opportunities, the Country Director will have demonstrated an ability to lead the execution of projects that require strong systems, foresight, and quality control to achieve success.
- The successful candidate does not necessarily need to have led an organization previously but will have strong leadership experience with teams in emerging market economies.
- The role will also require thoughtful team building, ownership of the profit and loss statement and financial controls, development of teams including a product management team, the ability to inspire learning and experimentation across the organization, and keen skills overseeing complex projects and operations in which getting technical details right is of high importance.
- The Country Director will lead all country operations and employees and be based in their country of operation.
Management and Leadership:
- Define and implement an organizational culture that values customer experience, operational excellence, and innovation and experimentation.
- Oversee performance management, mentorship, leadership development, and the implementation of strong organizational controls.
- Define organizational structure to best achieve existing goals and growth opportunities.
- Attract and retain high-performing team members.
- Work with UpEnergy leadership to evolve UpEnergy’s strategy as we seek to exceed the expectations of current customers and develop projects.
- Develop strategic relationships with product manufacturers, governments, NGOs, and carbon credit off-takers and intermediaries.
Product and Commercial:
- Develop channels to expand our commercial reach of UpEnergy’s product line.
- Build a data capture system and analysis to improve business performance and decisions.
- Lead development of high-value products and services for UpEnergy customers.
- Own all aspects of UpEnergy’s execution of complex sales operations, data gathering and monitoring, carbon audits, and carbon offset generation.
- Successfully manage existing partnerships with product manufacturers, local governments, sovereign and corporate carbon buyers, NGOs, and retailers.
- Oversee product development and procurement to ensure strong sales, margins, and impact. Drive continuous improvement in sales operations and supply chain.
Carbon Project Oversight and Origination
- Oversee country carbon finance operations including 3rd party experts that manage carbon credit generation.
- Originate projects to expand UpEnergy’s geographical footprint.
- Develop tools and technologies to improve data capture and reporting.
- Set country financial and capitalization strategy.Effectively oversee financial management and accounting across the country operations, including annual audits and quarterly financial reports.
- Maintain and update a long-term financial model in line with current corporate strategy.
- Participate in leadership meetings to establish and manage strategic priorities.
- 5+ years of work experience in relevant field
- Proven team building and general management experience.
- A track record of effective and strategic management of organizational growth.
- Interpersonal skills, credibility, and confidence to effectively represent UpEnergy in global forums and to lead the development of long-term partnerships cook stove and carbon leaders.
- Creative ambition: An entrepreneurial mindset.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Advanced degree in related fields preferred.
Nice to Have:
- Familiarity with project finance and/or the development of energy or carbon projects. Experience in carbon project development is a huge plus.
- Strong financial management experience, including internal controls and accountability: the ideal candidate will have managed budgets and a P&L.
- An understanding of customers and business culture in Sub-Saharan Africa.
The Country Director – Nigeria will receive a competitive salary and bonus.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their customized cover letter highlighting their relevant experience, and the specific areas of UpEnergy’s work that most interest them to: [email protected] using the job title as the subject of the mail.
- UpEnergy is an equal opportunity employer. We are looking to build a diverse and inclusive multicultural team! We do not discriminate basis of race, age, colour, religion, sexual orientation, sex, gender, or disabilities. Women are encouraged to apply for this role.
Start Date & Location:
- The position will be based in Nigeria (Some flexibility a. Regarding timing, we are looking for the right candidate to start as soon as possible, but we are flexible. Particularly under the current COVID pandemic, we put safety first while continuing to bring impact to our community and the environment. We appreciate your flexibility too in confirming a start date.