World Bank Job Recruitment and International Finance Corporation (IFC) Job Vacancies in Nigeria. September, 2021
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2020, we invested $22 billion in private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit www.ifc.org
The World Bank Group – Established in 1944, the WBG is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. In fiscal year 2018, the WBG committed $67 billion in loans, grants, equity investments and guarantees to its members and private businesses, of which $24 billion was concessional finance to its poorest members. It is governed by 188-member countries and delivers services out of 120 offices with nearly 15,000 staff located globally.
The Financial Institutions Group (FIG), one of IFC’s industry departments, supports projects in numerous financial sub sectors, partners with local financial institutions, develops domestic and regional equity and debt markets and introduces new financing instruments. The goal is to develop efficient financial systems that will increase financial inclusion and fuel economic growth in client countries and enhance IFC’s developmental impact.
FIG is recruiting an Investment Officer (“IO”) to join the investment team which originates, manages and monitors IFC’s financial sector investments, including investments that support the institution’s regional expansion across Africa. The Investment Officer will report to the FIG New Business Manager covering West & Central Africa.
Investment Officer | World Bank Group Lagos | Job #:req12284
Term Duration:3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type:Local Recruitment
Duties and Accountabilities:
The Investment Officer will identify new investment opportunities, execute transactions and actively manage portfolio projects for financial institutions based in Anglophone West Africa.
- Business Development: Source and assess opportunities, identify bankable projects in target regions, particularly less developed countries, and grow and develop new business transactions. Develop (and/or guide teams in the preparation of) pitchbooks and client proposals in support of new business. Work closely with Fintech and Disruptive Technology teams to develop strategic partnerships with FinTech companies and expand IFC’s FIG services to include innovative digital technologies.
- Structuring and Negotiation: Structure complex investments (comprising both debt and equity) according to understanding and assessment of client and country risks. Negotiate terms with clients, internal and external stakeholders, and partners, including senior management of IFC and clients (CEO, CFO). Prepare client/partner presentations and support their decision making at key transaction stages.
- Deal Execution: Lead transaction team from initiation, due diligence, internal approvals, and processing of debt and equity investment, actively handling key work and directing and coordinating work of other team members from across multiple departments. Take full responsibility and accountability for transaction-related decisions and relationships.
- Transaction Management: Deliver all transactions and accountabilities of the role efficiently, on a timely and expeditious basis and using best practice standards. Ensure that defined transactional requirements recorded in documentation are executed accordingly. Monitor the portfolio and report development results internally and externally.
- Strategy Development: Contribute to drafting strategies for sectors, countries, or regions for business development; and develop and execute strategies for more complex client engagements with the objective of building a robust investment pipeline.
- Knowledge Sharing: Build IFC’s knowledge base for best practices and participate in knowledge sharing and dissemination. Initiate collaboration and share expertise as a subject matter expert, providing advice, peer review and contribution to knowledge products across WBG to strengthen internal and/or external client solutions.
- Mentoring and coaching: mentor and coach less-experienced investment and advisory services staff and help build talent and grow skill base of staff.
- Master’s degree in finance or similar relevant education; accreditation as a CFA or CPA is considered a plus.
- At least 8-12 years of relevant experience in the financial sector, including a solid operational understanding of commercial banks and other financial entities in West Africa in particular, and the Africa region in general.
- Advanced financial, credit and risk evaluation skills, with demonstrated ability to structure and negotiate a variety of complex financial instruments (debt and equity), experience in portfolio management.
- Documented experience identifying, originating and qualifying new business opportunities developing and executing results-driven client engagements.
- Solid understanding of the FinTech space, including ability to develop strategic partnerships with FinTech companies.
- Sound business judgment and strong problem solving/negotiation skills, as well as ability to work effectively on simultaneous projects under time pressure.
- Excellent business judgment and strong analytical and problem-solving skills to identify issues and present creative, practical solutions.
- Capacity to deal with conflicting priorities and deliver high quality work on schedule; facility to work successfully in multicultural teams and across boundaries.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with the business community and governmental authorities, as needed.
- Demonstrated network of top-level contacts in the financial services and investment industries in the sub-region.
- Excellent and demonstrated written, presentation, and business level communications skills in English.
- Ability to synthesize and present information effectively and tailored to different audiences.
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development.
- Mission travel was severely affected by the Covid-19 pandemic. Once conditions improve, the position will require regional and international travel; hence the candidate should be willing and open to travel.
Application Closing Date
6/23/2021 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply